Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood splits and where to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood splits and where to buy

Hi Guys ,
    I’m new to the site and hoping for some insight from you all on where to purchase wood splits from.

I started smoking about 5 years ago when my wife bought me a Treager smoker, I then last purchased a Yoder 640ys which is a beast, these pellet smoker are great but I would like to compete and truly wanted a stick burner, so while I was in Texas last month working I purchased a 20” x 42” offset smoker from Lone Star Grillz,, please know the stick burner is new to me and living in the North East I am unsure where I will be able to get post oak, hickory, or pecan.

As I wait for my smoker to be built, there was a lead time I have tried to read and learn as much as possible on offset smokers and the best techniques, for pre heated maintaining temps and the best type of charcoal to start with, but I figured what better place to start then here.

Thank you for your time and I would appreciate any pointers or information, into the world of stick burner smokers

Thanks Jeff

I can't help with stick burners, but welcome to The Pit.

Comment

As others have said, don't get too hung up on the species of hardwood. Whatever you have access to in your area should work.

Comment

Any of the Nut or Fruit woods would work great. I just picked up a bunch of grape vines from a local winery from when they did their pruning last fall. Or just take a drive out into the country side and see what's around your area.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Some of the best chicken I've ever eaten was cooked over grape vines.

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome from Minnesota. As already mentioned this is a perfect time to Buy Local.

Comment

I have a stick burner and you want kiln dried wood. Ive purchased wood through Fruita Woods and Vaughn Woods with good success.

You can read up on smokers, techniques, profiles, etc till you’re blue in the face. Only getting your hands dirty and running your smoker will you learn how to run it. Really no short cuts.

My one bit of advice: heat your splits while you’re cooking. Hot wood catches must faster than cold wood. You want burning wood, not smoldering wood when you’re smoking meat.

You’ll love your Lone Star smoker. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I've had good luck with oak and hickory sourced from a local tree service that doubles as a firewood supplier - they have to haul off the trees they cut down, so end up splitting it and sorting by variety and seasoning on a couple of acre lot. I bought a half cord of oak and hickory for about $120 delivered a year or two back. I am sure there is something similar in your area of the country - you just gotta "let your fingers do the walking". Or, since there is no yellow pages any more, google it...

Depending on the size of the firebox, you will likely need to cut things down shorter or split them a little further for effective use in cooking. A lot of folks on here use something called the "Kindling Cracker", available from Northern Tools if you have one nearby. That's good to make the splits smaller, then a chop saw of some sort to cut them in half from the 16 to 20 inch firewood size, and you should be good.

Comment

Welcome from St. Cloud, FL.

Comment

First off. Congrats on your soon to be new pit.
                  LSG’s are amazing pits.
                  Secondly. Welcome aboard. You’re gonna love this place.

Were in the northeast are you?

As everyone else has mentioned. Your local tree service people.

I try to run cherry and oak. Red oak being my preferred choice of the oak family. Very available here in the NE.

Once you get your beast of a pit post pics. We love pics. And ask away with any and all questions. We’re here to help. 👍

Comment

It might be worth checking some local tree service providers. I am looking to possibly have a tree removed and one of the local companies I found actually sells a variety of wood for smoking. They even make their own lump charcoal to sell.

Comment

Google some kind of a forestry service in your area or check craigslist

Comment

This reminds of when the day I picked up my KBQ. Got home and realized that I did not have any wood

Comment

If you have a golf course nearby, I’d contact them. Might even get free delivery for trading some Q.

Comment

I have no idea.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here