Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pit Boss Pellets Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit Boss Pellets Revisited

I've stayed away from Pit Boss pellets until now because they have gotten mostly negative or lukewarm reception in a lot of BBQ discussions. I had a hard time passing up 40 lbs of competition blend for $15 so I bought a bag and burned about 30 - 35 pounds over the past two days. I'm hardly a Pit Boss pellet expert, but here are my observations from my first use.

* There was hardly any sawdust in the bag. The pellets had a slight coating on them, but nothing to speak of unless this is what accumulates in the auger over time. I don't think it is.

* No temp swings. I was cooking in 15 - 30 degree weather. I felt the temp control was BETTER than other brands because the temp came down to the set point faster after opening the lid which causes the fire to build up.

* Most surprisingly to me, my food had a better smoked flavor from these pellets. I couldn't really taste the smoke with Lumber Jack and even Cookin Pellets, but it was definitely present here, even when I had chicken in a foil pan (no lid).

* I didn't notice any significant accumulation of ash in the grill or burn pot different from Lumber Jack or Cookin Pellets.

* I did notice a little more ash on the grates, but I don't know why.

I was really reluctant to try these pellets and was just praying to get through the cook without a back burn based on what I had read, but my results were totally unexpected. I'm going to have to keep experimenting with them.

If memory serves, Max Good said he uses Pit Boss pellets (at least has on occasion) and has no problem with them, when I asked him which brand I should try out I believe he said go with them they're fine. Also interesting, Lumber Jack (who also makes Grilla's pellets if memory serves) and Cookin Pellets are reportedly some of the fan favorites, along w/ BBQers Delight. $15 for 40lbs is a fantastic price, especially if you're happier with the results. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Comment

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Nice to know you found that they perform so well.

As I remember they have an Alder base and I am wondering if that produced the "better smoke" flavor on your chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by Alphonse View Post
        Thanks for the detailed feedback. Nice to know you found that they perform so well.

As I remember they have an Alder base and I am wondering if that produced the "better smoke" flavor on your chicken?
        That could be if alder is flavored and oak is more neutral. That would make the entire pellet flavored in some way. If I had to hit a high temp in the winter time I would use something with oak in it, but there wouldn’t be much smoking going on at a high temp anyway.

Comment

I might have to give these a try. Of all the others I’ve tried CookinPellets hickory is they only one that I’ve noticed more smoke flavor with.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
            I might have to give these a try. Of all the others I’ve tried CookinPellets hickory is they only one that I’ve noticed more smoke flavor with.
            I’d be really interested to see if you get similar results.

Comment

Pit Boss products are good quality at attractive, competitive prices.

Comment

I've been using Pit Boss for over a year now. No complaints.

Comment

After watching a review on YouTube by Weekend Warrior BBQ of Pit Boss pellets (he uses primarily Pit Boss cookers) I purchased the Charcoal and Hickory Pellets. I mixed them 50/50 and cooked Rib Eye in my Traeger. I had no heat issues and I thought the smoke flavor was better than the Traeger or Bear Mountain pellets I have been using. Might be time to switch brands.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                    Potkettleblack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Grilla facebook group has a lot of people who have tried the char-hickory pellets and reported that it didn't make a different, but maybe burned a bit hotter. Make of that what you will.

I have used PitBoss competition blend for a couple of years now with no complaints, I but the 40# bag at Menards for $19.95 usually. The only other brand I have ever used was Traeger as my grill came with a couple of bags. I see no reason to change now.

Comment

I use, wait, um,...I dunno. I have them in a zip-top bag to use with my tube for smoked cheese and such. They are fruitwood mixed

Comment

Just read your review of PitBoss pellets. I have tried several different brands of pellets. I really can not tell the difference except the cost. The last 80lbs, 2x40lbs, of PirBoss pellets I noticed the pellets were shorter. They burn fine for me.

Comment

Good to hear, I just got a pellet smoker and picked up a bag of pit boss competition blend

Comment

I am a fan of CookShack pellets. Decent Price but hard to get hold of. I try to make a trip down to Oklahoma once or twice a year to stock up.

Comment

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
                            I use, wait, um,...I dunno. I have them in a zip-top bag to use with my tube for smoked cheese and such. They are fruitwood mixed
                            Do you have any luck getting nice thin blue smoke from your pellet Tube for smoked cheese?

I tried it, but my smoke was white, and the cheese had that really bitter white smoke smell to it, so I threw it away.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                              Editing a comment
                              did you let the cheese rest for a week or two wrapped tightly in plastic before sampling it?

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here