Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pellets? Real information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you've seen, there are lots of opinions on this. I'd go with what you can get locally. Buy bags of several brands and go with the one that performs best on your cooker. Performance could be judged by temperature swings, flame-outs, pellet usage etc. Regarding taste, I don't think you'll be able to tell a difference.

Comment

I too am very new to the pellet world and appreciate the responses you've received. I've not tried a couple recommended brands but will soon. Thanks

Comment

In Northern states, Lumberjack seems to be the gold standard. Southern states, it’s reputed to be BBQ’ers Delight. Personally, I go with Grilla Grills pellets (reportedly manufactured by Lumberjack) and have had great results. Plan on paying about a dollar a pound for the good stuff. Feel free to look for bargains but it’s generally true that you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Not to belabor the point but buying Lumber Jack in bulk cuts that price down to about 43 cents a pound. That's significant savings, considering my pellet cooker burns at a 1#/hour rate, at best.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman - If I had a place to keep a half ton or so of pellets, I'd do the same ... but I don't so the price is still about a dollar a pound.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Just sayin'. I don't buy a full ton, I generally buy about a quarter. If we can find more guys it's less than that. LJ just requires you buy a ton minimum, doesn't matter how many folks partner up to do it. Understandable if you don't have the room though. What I do is lay three bags on the floor of my garage then stack eight high or so, small foot print.

Thanks to all for the feedback and experience shared here. It has me off to a good start when I get my pellet grill in a few weeks.

Comment

Pellets are simple, you have a select few brands with consistent quality AND low dust per lb and then you have the budget brands. I've been very happy with the budget brand pellets from Sams club, 20lbs for usually 12 bucks or less... they burn well but do prduce a bit more ash than the quality stuff. If you get a bag off the bottom of the pallet they are high dust content. What I typically do is add a 5lb bag of quality stuff to the 20lb comp blend from Sams. I get a good burn with great flavor and have to clean my grill a bit more than if I went 100% quality brand. It's totally worth the cost IMO. I do really like adding a 5lb bag of jack daniels charcoal to 1 20lb bag of budget stuff. Burns great and pretty consistent.

Comment

I really like Lumberjack either the hickory or the Competition Blend. Up here I buy them in 20lb bags at Farm and Fleet for at most $10, and they go on sale 2-3 times a year for either BOGO or 30% off. That's when I normally stack up. I don't get a ton of ash even after long cooks with them and the smoke flavor is good.

Comment

I discovered BBQer"s Delight a couple of years ago and have been very pleased. I get more smoke than from Traeger or Lumberjack. They leave very little ash in my ash pot. I buy them at a patio/fireplace store AND they are less expensive than most brands .

Comment

I've used Grilla's and I believe they are made by Lumber Jack (but don't quote me), and Cookin' Pellets and I really like both. Max reportedly has good things to say about Pit Boss, as does Jerod, and of course BBQ'ers Delight from our own CandySueQ. I haven't used those 2 myself though (yet).

Comment

Does anyone have an opinion on Bear Mountain pellets? I read somewhere that they're the brand recommended by MAK.

Comment

• T-bone
                    T-bone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yesterday I used a bag of their oak pellets for our brisket cook and were very happy with them.

I have used Bear mountain (hickory) and found them to be very good. I have experimented with several brands and found Lumberjack and Bear Mountain to be the best. Both are 100% of the advertised wood,no fillers, oils or blending with either. You can't go wrong with Bear Mountain, same price directly from the company as Amazon or any other outlet. If you are not set on Bear Mountain try Lumberjack's sweetwood blend (maple, beech and cherry).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here