Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best pellets? Real information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best pellets? Real information?

Yes, I realize this is a BIG question. So a little context to go with and behind it:

I have been grilling and cooking for a lifetime on wood, briquettes, lump, and yes, even gas. I have just ordered my first pellet grill and I am now trying to figure out what the pellet supply really looks like and which I might be interested in.

I have watched a lot of YouTube and searched for legitimate reviews. I seem to be finding a lot of vendor promotion. I am fearful that most of the reviews I am finding may be a bit tainted with commercial promotion and agendas.

I am betting many of you have been down this trail before and your insights would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Alphonse; October 3, 2019, 11:30 AM.

Can't go wrong with BBQ'ers Delight. They also manufacture the pellets for B & B. I've also been using Pit Boss from wolly world with great results.

Comment

• Argoboy
      Argoboy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had good luck with Pit Boss completion blend.

2nd the BBQ'ers Delight. Very satisfied

Comment

My favorite so far is the B & B branded BBQ'ers Delight. Second is Green Mountain's own. Pit Boss gave me wild temperature swings and I'll be trying Lumberjack before too long.

Comment

• dahcopilot
        dahcopilot commented
        Editing a comment
        times two on the green mountain pellets

Okay, see a BBQr's Delight trend and I've studied them a bit now.

Are you all buying them locally or ordering them?

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        I ordered mine through their website. Very happy with them.

• aladdin4d
        aladdin4d commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm able to get BBQr’s Delight/B&B near me at 4 different places during the summer. Off season that drops to two.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy mine by the pallet load.

If you have an Academy (sporting goods store) near by, they carry the B&B pellets, which are simply rebranded BBQr's Delight pellets. I don't have a pellet cooker, but have seen the 40 pound competition blend B&B pellets for $19.99 at Academy. Definitely a good buy.

Comment

I also have been using B&B for over a year with excellent results. Very consistent and a reasonable variety available, including apple, hickory, post oak and mesquite. I am able to buy locally from several sources, HEB supermarkets down here In south Texas, and Academy. The competition blend is usually only available at Academy around here.

Comment

What you are going to find is everyone has their favorites for different reasons....

Here is something else you will find based on others who have asked this question before... If surveyed you will find the top 5 recommendations to probably be (in no particular order).:
          1. BBQer's Delight
          2. CookinPellets
          3. Lumberjack
          4. B&B
          5. Your manufacturer's branded pellets (Treager, Grilla, Louisiana, Pit Boss, etc...)

For some folks the best pellet is whatever they easily have access to, is the most affordable, etc...

Personally I love BBQer's Delight but they tend to cost a bit more and I have to have them shipped. I use to purchase B&B because they were made by BBQer's Delight and because prior to Pit Boss that was what my local Wal-Mart carried... unfortunately the closest Academy that carries them is over an hour away.

My local Rural King carries Lumberjack for a pretty good price so that is what I am going to try next.

But my heart is still with BBQer's Delight.

The one complaint I have read repeatedly about with Pit Boss and Traeger pellets is that the Alder base has caused temperature inconsistencies and flameouts... based on what people have said... I have no scientific data to back that up... oh and also that they have a musty aroma.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            My father uses Traeger...because he owns a Traeger...and while isn’t fully convinced that anything else will blow the unit up...that’s not far off. LOL
            And while I’ve suggested that he might try some other brands... He’s not one to order much of anything online, and Traeger are about the only consistently available brands near where he lives.

Best pellets or best affordable pellets? CookinPellets are generally considered the best. They use 100% flavor woods and do not use the bark in their pellets. Many pellets are like 70/30 blends where 70 percent is Oak or Adler, 30 percent is the wood advertised as the 'flavor'. They are about $1/lb though in smaller quantities. Best smoke flavor I've gotten is from CookinPellets 100% Hickory. Perfect Blend are nice too. LumberJack also has some 100% variaties too, but they do use the bark in their pellets which creates more ash in your grill (and sometimes on your food).

I have not tried the BBQ'ers Delight or B&B personally. But have tried Traeger, Lumberjack, Memphis, and Green Mountain. I pretty much only buy CookinPellets now unless I'm out and need to get them from my local Ace in a hurry or really want to try a flavor CookinPellets doesn't offer.

Comment

I could go on and on for days. I'll bet you in a blind taste test no one could tell much of a difference between any brand of the same pellet variety. Regardless some of the things you need to look for when choosing one are;

1. Don't use heating pellets. Some people do with no adverse affects but with garbage and pesticides potentially blended in, I'd avoid them altogether.
            2. Try to look for smoking pellets that are made from a single source of wood; like cherry, apple, pecan, etc. Many of the commercial manufacturers will sell you "blended" pellets where 70% might be a fruit wood and the other 30% will be "filler" which is typically oak. Nothing wrong with it, it's just dumbing down the product.
            3. You'll sometimes see "flavored" pellets. Some say that's the same as blended, others have said they spray them with some sort of flavoring. I'm really not sure but I would avoid them as well.
            4. Try to look for bulk sellers if you are serious about using a lot of pellets. I buy with 3 other guys and we get a 1 ton shipment delivered to a freight depot. We show up and divide up the bags into quarters. A quarter ton usually lasts me a year. I get large 40# bags for around $17 buying in bulk.
            5. Stick with name brands, folks that actually make the pellets. A lot of bags being sold by pellet cooker manufacturers who have them bagged up for them so you're not sure what you're getting.

That said, the brands I generally buy are;

1. Lumber Jack (due to bulk sales)
            2. BBQr's Delight
            3. B&B
            4. Cooking Pellets

Again, and I know I'll get ripped for saying this, but I can't hardly tell the difference in any of them. Pellet cooking produces a low smoke profile at high temperatures. It's great if you're looking for that, I just think because of that it's hard to make any true distinction between them. Best try a few out and see what you think. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              I would agree with your statement that most people couldn't make a distinction.

• randy56
              randy56 commented
              Editing a comment
              Times 2 It's hard for me to tell much difference.

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              We all know what ya call a pitmaster that says they can taste the difference between apple and cherry smoke???
              "A liar" 😃. Heard that one on the BBQ Central show and l loved it.

I have had my Rec Tec for 5 years and really like the CookinPellets (ordered thru Amazon). I have tried B&B, Louisiana, Treager but for me it seems the CookinPellets burn a lot cleaner (little ash in the pot)which is a big deal. The are about $39 for 40 lbs, I think you get what you pay for.

Comment

I like Cookin Pellets Perfect Mix. Tried some others in the past, but they seemed to leave more ash and sometimes a chunk of some sort in the burn pot.

Comment

I'd go with the recommendations above - any one of the first seven bags listed here... https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cookinpel...b_sb_ss_i_1_13 would be a good choice.

Comment

This is based on my experience running a DLX24, so your mileage may vary.

Pit Boss pellets gave wild temp swings
                  Camp Chef pellets held less temp swing, but still more than I cared for.
                  Lumber Jack holds temp best, and was best price over all when I split a full pallet of pellets with a co-worker.

The other advantage of ordering a full pallet is that Lumber Jack will let you mix and match wood types to your hearts content, as long as the total number of bags adds up to a full pallet. By getting the full pallet the total cost was about $17 per #40 bag, including delivery.
                  Last edited by willxfmr; October 4, 2019, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I do the bulk buy of Lumber Jack Pellets. I have bought some Camp Chef Pellets because someone recommended their Char Cherry. At this point I’ve inhaled so much pellet grill smoke I can’t tell the difference between hickory and apple.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here