Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Olives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Olives

Smoking olives takes them to another planet. They are super in cocktails, fantastic on pizza, glorious in pasta. Make a smoky tapenade and spoon some onto a burger.

Make them in a smoker for a deeper, longer lasting richness, but if you’re in a hurry for a martini you can use a smoking gun. The aroma is lighter and more ephemeral, but quite nice.

Makes. 1 ½ cups smoked olives
    Takes. 45 to 60 minutes in a smoker, 5 to 10 minutes with a Smoking Gun https://amzn.to/2VCTOPG
    Special tools. Grill topper or Smoking Gun

1 ½ cups brine-cured olives, pits removed

About the olives. You can use either black or green brine cured olives. Oil-cured can harden almost to the point of inedibility.

1) Smoker or grill. Light your smoker or set up your grill for 2-zone smoking, get the indirect side to 225°F,and get some smoke rolling. Spread the olives in a grill topper and smoke for 1 to 2 hours until they are at the level of smokiness you like.

2) Smoking gun. Place the olives in a sealed smoking chamber and insert the nozzle. Light the sawdust. Run three to four smoke cycles, adding more sawdust as soon as the last load runs out.

Love me some olives straight out the jar.

Comment

Black garlic butter. Smoked olives.
      Right up my alley.

Comment

Can you smoke them, then drop them back in brine to store, or will that wipe out the smoke taste?

Comment

• aladdin4d
          aladdin4d commented
          Editing a comment
          Store them in gin!

2 hours at 225?

Comment

• aladdin4d
          aladdin4d commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm guessing it depends on the size of your olives. When I tried it with some giant olives it took just under two hours. I'm sure fines or brilliants would be done in half that time or less. Olive size = meat thickness more or less.

I love olives... and I love smoke... not sure why I didn't think of this when beginning my quest to smoke random abnormal things. Is there a reason to hot smoke them? I'm thinking this time of year I can easily cold smoke them and in the summer I can still stay under 190.

Comment

So, no one ever answered. Today I did canned black and bottled green garlic stuffed, I did half cold (140-ish) for twice the time and half as Meathead states. I never knew I needed these in my life, but both turned out amazing, just the extra oomph to add a lil something new. The "hot" ones were amazing on their own, the cold ones were good but not as good as the hot. I returned the cold green stuffed ones to their brine jar for future use. The rest will end up on a pizza or something

Comment

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Great info. I'm totally trying this. Thanks.

Gotta try this!

Comment

Smoked olives are glorious. I often smoke all the ingredients for olive salad for muffalettas (olives, capers, cocktail onions, etc.), and the smoke, as with almost anything, takes it to another level. I also recommend smoking marinated artichokes, marinated mushrooms, and giardiniera. I have a Traeger among my smokers, and find that the "smoke" setting really works well; it's low temp enough that feta-stuffed olives don't melt, and they're quite good. Take your antipasta platter up several notches with smoke.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Yum!

Thanks, Brother

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here