Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About Lightpainting And Other Photography For The Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About Lightpainting And Other Photography For The Book

About the Photography

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-F3vQTP6-X2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	486.1 KB ID:	592819

Most of the photographs of the recipes were shot using a technique called lightpainting. For a book with art in the name I wanted to do something unusual and creative with the images and I wanted to challenge myself in the same manner I am challenging barbecue cooks with these recipes.

To achieve the chiaroscuro look reminiscent of Rembrandt still life paintings, I wanted I first had to black out my studio. The lens of my Nikon DSLR was opened for 20 to 30 seconds and the light came from a penlight flashlight that I moved across the set, pushing the light in close to brighten an object, pulling it back for other objects, changing the angles, swooping in low for long shadows, from behind for halo effects, all in the same image. Lighting the food was 20 second dance, stepping around it, moving my hands in and out. I made several exposures of each image and then stacked them in Photoshop to get a double, triple, even a quintuple exposure. I am told that this method has never been used for food.

Here is a gallery of the recipes we have tested and shot so far. https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-RK6hqs/

Special thanks to: Rick Longhi, food stylist, who worked by my side for many days cooking, styling sets, and critiquing. Dave Black, a master of lightpainting and mentor. He gave me a one-on-one hands-on tutorial for about 3 hours at Photoshop World and that was phenomenal. What a guy. Jerry N. Uelsmann, John Paul Caponigro, and Sonia Landy Sheridan, my other mentors and instructors in art, and my inspirations.

Here is a video showing how I shot the recipes. Turn on the sound to hear the narration.

For the chapter titles, I used another unusual technique. I placed food on the glass of a flatbed scanner. Here is an example. You can click here to see more https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-XSt4rt/

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-2scK6CK-X2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	592825

Comment

• N227GB
      N227GB commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking at the chapter titles I see you will have a building block approach in the book. I really like that approach!

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Popped using direct heat to keep the ends unpopped?

I’d like a large please!
    With a medium Coke.

Question: can we pre-order? The book that is.
    Last edited by FireMan; November 14, 2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes. I am still working on figgering out my costs so I haven't set a price yet. But soon.

Lovely photos, and the scans are very nice too. Much better than the scans people did a work while no one was looking years ago...

Comment

I like it!!!

Comment

Definitely unique! Love it.

Comment

Awesome work! This is going to be a killer book. Can't wait!

Comment

I was going to say this was Dave Black influenced, and now I see you were at Photoshop World. Look great.

Comment

That is really cool. Will be a totally unique book but I suspect imitators will quickly follow.

Comment

Brilliant.

Kathryn

Comment

As a professional photographer...I love this.
                  I love when people challenge themselves to do something unique.

i sold a couple images years ago that were done entirely with a scanner; no camera used. (That started as a bet. LOL)

Comment

Oh yeah! And the images look great.

Comment

Gotta say Meathead if the book is anyway near as good as those pics it’s gonna be spectacular. Amazing work.

Comment

Beautiful images. Thank you for sharing the behind the scenes look. Photography is one of my hobbies, so I’m definitely going to try this technique!

Comment

I am a light painter myself. Your photos came out great. I love the shadows in them. They make the food look so dramatic. I can't wait to see your full book out. Thanks for the teaser.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here