Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Refilling small propane tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead I have a friend who refills his small tanks regularly. I don’t know how he does it, but he once told me ‘I’m sure it’s not safe.’ Can I have your permission to send your post to him? I don’t know what the rules on this type of thing are.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      send your friend the link to this post, he gets X number of free page views as a guest

• Grillin Dad
      Grillin Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea, may very well do that

So I listened carefully to the DOT warning about refilling here https://youtu.be/g2_GhyAw3vM . Starting at 4:20, "investigators concluded that the explosion was caused by propane gas leaking from a 20 pound barbecue style cylinder was ignited by the open flame of a propane heater's pilot light... She had been using the 20 pound cylinder with a coupler to refill a DOT 39 1 pound cylinder." So this sounds to me like the woman was using the direct connector (which I do not recommend) and it leaked and was ignited by a space heater within a building. This can happen when you attach the smaller tank because the thread to the large tank goes counter clockwise and the thread to the smaller tank is clockwise. Attaching the smaller tank COULD loosen the connection to the larger tank and cause a leak! The explosion was NOT caused by the small tank's failure. As my article says, do it outside and away from flame (cigarette joke). Likewise, I do not recommend trying to cram extra propane into the smaller tank by chilling it or opening the escape valve as some people do.

Has anyone seen or heard of a DOT 39 failing?
    Last edited by Meathead; March 10, 2022, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, ya don’t want live fire nearby. No smokin too. 🕶

• USMCCrashCrew89
      USMCCrashCrew89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I worked as a safety guy at a company that provided LP and here’s my understanding of the issue. Without writing up a thesis on the subject, everything the DOT "certifies" as a vessel for HazMat is subjected to testing to ensure its integrity, even cardboard boxes and when you refill the DOT 39 tanks, you’re going beyond whatever DOT testing has been conducted. It’s a slippery slope but more on the LP supplier side than going after John Q Homeowner

This is another option. Forget the smaller cylinders and just use this adaptor. It will not work in all cases, but it is handy to have around.

Comment

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Coleman version of that also, particularly for longer term use of the portable stove. But I've wound up going through the small bottles so slowly I haven't needed to use it yet.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I usually do but sometimes I opt for the portability of the little tanks. My Big Buddy heaters take two 1-pound tanks on each side.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      My Performer came with one of those (the Weber version of it) from the friend I bought the Performer from. I only in the past year or two started using the small cylinders on the Performer as I needed the big propane tank for the flat top grill I got back in 2020.

I have a 1000 gallon propane tank buried in my yard that we use for heating and cooking. Anyone know how to fill a 20 lb grill tank from one, safely of course?

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Skip the middleman and run a line directly to your grill.

• bmillin
      bmillin commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't think of a way to get liquid propane out of a buried tank.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Are there any lines above ground that you can tap off of? BTW I've never done anything like this but that would seem to be the best option.

Thanks for the great feedback and input. I have revised my post above to include the best info.

Comment

Things i don't totally understand I'm not comfortable doing, this is one of them. The 20 lb bottle is easy enough to use while camping. Having a few of the small bottles around too, for me, isn't an issue. I totally get why one would want to refill, just nt for me.

Comment

Our Scout troop has started refilling the 1lb canisters, not because of cost, but because there's no recycling for them and we didn't like how many were going into the landfills.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Good thinking.

• Meathead
          Meathead commented
          Editing a comment
          Beware. As my post explains, refilling most of those bottles is dangerous and against the law.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead refilling the disposable ones is an extremely common practice. I also own the Flame King tank and the propane stand that came with it for refilling the tank. My feeling is that the seal on the Flame King will wear out the same as the disposable ones. So I suspect there is no real difference in safety. However, if I was in your position I certainly wouldn't be telling people refilling the disposables is a good idea (even if it is).

I routinely fill my 20 lb tanks for my patio and sauna at my buddies farm. They have a few 3,0000 lbs tanks that I use to refill. I will tell you this........Wear gloves! I know this is mentioned above to but make sure you wear good, thick gloves. Spend the money and get a really good pair of welding gloves. That propane with freeze your skin on contact, before you know it, and it is excruciatingly painful. Grilling, winter gloves or any cloth gloves do not work well, you need something with an insulated, thick barrier between you and the gas. This is why insulated leather gloves work well.

Rant over.

Comment

Spinaker knows this, but pardon me while I ‘Mansplain.’ 😬
          For a review of HS physics class:

Compressing gases increases temp. (Heat is molecular/atomic movement, & squeezing the existing movement into a smaller volume increases what you can think of as the density of all those little movements).
          Expanding gases does the opposite. All those little agitated movements (heat) get diluted into a larger volume, and their temp drops.
          This of course is what’s behind all of your compressors in your fridge/freezer/heat pump, etc.

Highly Recommended First ‘Piece’ on Atoms from Richard Feynman’s 6 Easy Pieces:

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Existing movement, density of little movements & agitated movements, cool! You make them sound like things! 🧐

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan I’m just poorly paraphrasing Feynman. He definitely makes it all apparent as simple ‘things.’

Here’s an hour well spent, delightful:

Attjack I am aware that refilling disposable canisters is a common practice and I have never heard of one exploding (although I haven't looked very hard). But the fact remains that the manufacturer recommends you do not refill and that it is against the law. In my world, my life is worth $15 for a legal, sturdier tank.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            We'll have to agree to disagree about refills being life threatening.

Dr. Pepper The reason propane will freeze your skin isn’t necessarily because of expanding gasses. It’s only when liquid is present that it becomes dangerous. As long as both liquid and vapor are present, a substance will follow a pressure temperature relationship. Propane liquid vapor mix at 90 degrees will be around 150 psi. Propane liquid vapor mix at atmospheric pressure will be around -44 degrees. When the pressure rapidly drops to atmospheric pressure, propane rapidly boils at -44 degrees (and absorbs large amounts of heat while boiling). It’s the combination of the low boiling temperature at atmospheric pressure and the large amount of heat absorbed while boiling, that make liquid propane a frostbite hazard and an excellent refrigerant. I’m a refrigeration tech, so I deal with these principles regularly.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! So, what I was describing would be appropriate for a compressed gas, but I completely missed the energy of the phase change, from liquid to gas? Is that correct, or am I still missing something?
            I love to learn.

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper You were correct, it’s just that vapor only (no liquid present) expanding won’t have nearly the temperature drop that a liquid vapor combo can have. The liquid boils off (absorbing heat from itself or whatever it’s in contact with) to cool itself to match its saturation temperature at the new pressure. You are correct that the phase change is the key, it’s also the key to refrigeration.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here