Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Residential Electric Smoker Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential Electric Smoker Recommendations?

I am thinking about retiring my Masterbuilt 30" digital smoker that I have had for quite a while. What has recently caught my eye is the Smokin It Model 2 smoker. Seems well built. But I am surely open to suggestions. The size seems appropriate for a casual smoker. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

While I am not a big fan of electric smokers in general, this one seems a little pricey for what you get.

The construction seems ALMOST identical, including the style of the latch, to the Smoking Tex one on bbqguys.com - except that the Smoking Tex one has one instead of 2 latches, and is about $100 less.

The Smokin Tex 1400 Pro Series Stainless Steel Electric Smoker is easy to use, just plug it in, put in the wood and food, shut the door, and set the temperature. Enjoy authentic old-fashioned pit barbecue and delicious natural wood smoked foods. Your food is slow cooked with exact temperature control from 100 to 250 degrees and will require no attention during cooking! This electric smoker features all stainless steel construction to survive the elements and double wall insulation to keep it cool to the touch. Controlled heat, combined with the no-draft cooking conditions produces a consistently moist and tender product. Smoker has five shelf positions and includes three 14 1/2 x 14 1/2 inch shelves for a maximum capacity of 38 lbs. Comes equipped with a stainless steel drip pan, four caster wheels, cookbook, and instructions. Electric smoker requires 700W/10 amps/120V. Smoker Dimensions (in inches): 17 1/2 W x 21 D x 29 H (including wheels) 26 3/4 H (without wheels).

Have you considered a pellet smoker, instead of an electric smoker? It would probably produce better results, and open you up to a world of options.

Comment

• Towering Inferno
      Towering Inferno commented
      Editing a comment
      The model 1400 looks like it would fit the bill. Full racks of ribs and briskets will fit?

+1on the pellet pooper.

Comment

I have the model 2. The one that jfmorris is comparing is match to the model 1. I used this one exclusively for about 6 years. Works great. I still have it and still use it occasionally. I upgraded about a year and a half ago to a big pellet grill. My sister got one a couple years ago and also loves it. It’s built like a tank. It’s limitations are 1. space. For example you must cut a rib rack in half to fit it in there. Same with a whole brisket. 2. Temp range is limited to about 250 +\- So low and slow only. But otherwise I’ve cooked a lot of great at bbq on it and like I said, it still has a place in my cooker rotation. One last thing: I got the optional cart for it to get it off the ground. I’m old and fat and needed to avoid the bending.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice to see another Smokin-it owner on here!

I'm going to vote for the Smokin It Model 2 instead of a pellet cooker if real smoke is the goal.

Comment

You know the above comment is correct. The #2 can deliver a good smoke profile. In fact it can be too strong if you use too much wood. Learned that the hard way early on.

Comment

I used the Cook Shack Amerique for 15 years beforee passing it down to my son who is still using it. They have a new model Amerique now that is pricey at $1,300 BUT would be a lifetime purchase. Built like tanks, Made in America, and plenty of room for a large family.

There are 3 models to look at. LOVE these things for the simplicity of operation, and some of the best Q out there.

Comment

I used to have a Bradley electric. It worked well. I sold it to a buddy across the street. He uses it on average once per week and loves it.

Comment

I too, have a pellet smoker, a Traeger, I have the Masterbuilt 560, this 30" electric smoker and a Chargriller akorn kamado.
              The set it and fully forget it really is a smoker like the 30". Just need one that I could load just once with say, chunks or chips.
              I like the Traeger but have had flame outs before and unless I am using a smoker tube, get just a super light smoke profile after a very long cook. I would also like an insulated build. I know it does not appeal to purists, but hey, good food is good food! And if a brisket will not fit will in the Smokin It, am I reading that right, because that would be a deal breaker.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes a full packer brisket will not fit in the Smokin-It model 2. I tried. No cigar.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                You read that right. The grates are only 14.5" wide.

Have you thought about a Weber kettles or a PBC?

Comment

• Towering Inferno
                Editing a comment
                I have a cheap gasser and my Chargriller kamado for wood and charcoal. I am honestly running out of room. I am not well versed on and have never personally seen a PBC being used other than on the internet. I am uneducated on barrel cooking.
                We are house hunting though and it is actually a consideration for us as to where all my stuff is supposed to go.

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                Towering Inferno the weber kettle IMO is one of the most versatile cookers you can get. The PBC is a great barrel cooker/smoker that you can get a ton of protein in but it's not as good of a grill.
                The other thing you could look at is a smoke vault it's a vertical propane smoker and can handle a lot of protein and keeps temps pretty darn even.

Towering Inferno full racks of ribs or full briskets will not fit in the Smokin-It Model 2 - the cooking grates are 14.5" x 14.5". Same size as the Smokin Tex Pro 1400. Both are what I would consider to be small smokers. Most slabs of ribs are 18-20 inches, and most briskets I've cooked were about that long too, sometimes longer.

The Model 2 has a upper limit of 250F. To get crisp skin on poultry, most recommend smoking at 325 to 350 - that is what I do. Chicken skin at 225 to 250 is usually rubbery. Same limit on the Smokin Tex Pro - they really look about identical.

I understand your frustration with the Traeger. A pellet smoker I know folks on here have and love is the Grilla - their original round, vertical one. Doesn't take a ton of space, and it produces smokier than most results for a pellet rig. And has a double walled insulated body.

The only vertical smoker I know of that takes full racks of ribs and briskets is the propane Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24. It's huge, had a decent size pan for wood chunks, and folks on here seem to like it. But, its not electric, if that's a requirement, and its not insulated.
              Last edited by jfmorris; September 28, 2020, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                My Masterbuilt Thermotemp XL propane smoker also takes full racks of ribs. I haven't tried to cook a packe in it yet, so I can't speak to that. Also, I have it rigged to hang ribs in it, which is my favorite way to cook them.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Dewesq55 if it takes slabs of ribs uncut, it will certainly take most briskets. I had forgotten about the Thermotemp.

• Towering Inferno
                Editing a comment
                This is a lot of information to digest. I was just thinking this morning about the 325 or more to get to crispy. How hard can that be? I may have to rethink what my end goal should be. I wouldn't mind replacing the MB30 with another only now all I read are really bad quality of build reviews. But being stuck at home, I have nothing but time. :-)

Towering Inferno you have stumbled on what I use for smoking. It’s a great machine, super well built and if you had to ever call the company for customer service, the owner would pick up the phone and trouble shoot with you.

That being said, I have a 3D (digital model with an auber built in) and love it. For a few reasons - it’s simple to use and puts out great BBQ. You name it, it puts out great food! My dad also has the same model you show in your post above. He cooks everything in it just as well.

Ribs are great. For the 3D, the full rack fits with no issues. For the #2, you have to cut them in half and you are ready to go. For a full packer brisket, the 3D again has no issues with size. My dad has cooked a number of full packers, and either goes corner to corner for the smaller size or he has cut them in half and placed on two shelves.

Chicken comes out great in this as well. Smoke it to get the flavor you want, then throw it on the gas grill for a quick crisp up and you have some wonderful yard bird.

Another difference, the temp range on the analog vs the digital. Digital offers a higher temp to cook with, which I use for most everything. Usually 250 or 275 for what I’m cooking, unless I’m doing a low temp cook.

I’ve also smoked salmon, pork butt, pork belly for bacon and burnt ends, sausage, turkey.....anything and everything and it’s simple to use. So much, on the board for Smokin-it, many call it lazy q at it’s best!

The recommendation for smoke is to use not much more than 6oz of wood for larger cuts of meat. I have gone past that looking for a little more smoke flavor and it works for me. Others on the board have said it’ puts off a great amount of smoke for them. Also, if you are looking for a "smoke ring" you wont get a true smoke ring with this but there are tricks you can use to help get that. But if it’s not a big deal, than no issues!

Otherwise, clean up is easy, using foil on the inside of the box on the bottom as well as on top of the fire box. Small chunks are fairly easy to find or can be ordered, I personally have enjoyed Smokinlicious chunks since I’ve had mine, which has been 4 years now.

The smoke hole on top, allows for you to drop a probe down and monitor the temps on the meat. So, whatever you choose to use, Fireboard, Smoke or even a Chef Alarm, which is what I use, works great for finding finishing temp.

And, these are so well sealed, the meat doesn’t dry out and you don’t have to use water pans. You can if you want, but most don’t because they are so well built and maintain decent humidity from the food.

That’s my thought on this - You can’t go wrong, especially if feeding fuel over night is not your thing. If you want to set it and forget it, this is a great smoker and you will truly enjoy it.

Let me know if you have any questions. I’m happy to help or assist with anything I can in regards to the Smokin-It if you decide to go that route, or need the info to help with a decision. I attached a few photos that I have on this iPad for you as well. Homemade smoked beef sausage, a pork crown roast, brisket. I have many others on the board here as well.

I also have a Weber kettle that I love to use. I’ve cooked ribs on both, and both are great. I enjoy having the ability to choose how I want to cook for the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A17011F6-84E2-4BEB-8495-5F23C38054B5.jpeg
Views:	884
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	917694

Name:	E2D31B8E-9ED0-4132-9813-14726383B61E.jpeg
Views:	519
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	917695

Name:	04EC9536-B86D-497C-A032-3397118EB381.jpeg
Views:	551
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	917696

Name:	175F076E-BF60-4F63-859E-FDB0A551C406.jpeg
Views:	548
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	917697

Comment

• Towering Inferno
                Editing a comment
                Great write up along with mouth watering results! I will look into the larger 3D. My wife is going to kill me.

• BFlynn
                BFlynn commented
                Editing a comment
                That all looks terrible. Let me give you my address for proper disposal of smoker and meats.

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                I think I need to taste some of that to make sure your description is spot on. Be by later lol.

One other point I’ll add. Smokin-It’s pricing includes shipping, or at least it has in the past. Take that into consideration when pricing everything out.

The shelf that Jfrosty has, it’s pretty cool, if it’s the same one that my Dad uses for his #2.

Comment

• N227GB
                N227GB commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the team members up north at my company has a Smokin It. He loves it and highly recommends the model with the digital controller. I've not had a chance to taste the output, but the pictures he's shared with me look as good as anything I've turned out in my PBC or offset.

It's a good choice if open flames or keeping the heat source contained is a consideration. I've thought about getting one for my lanai.

Electric smoker? KBQ!! ;-)

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Towering Inferno It is not really an electric smoker, rather a wood burner, however it does use electricity to power a couple of fans. It burns small splits of wood, the firebox needs to be filled every twenty to thirty minutes. Other than adjusting a thermostat to get your desired temperature, there isn't much else you need to do. But it is live fire, so I usually busy myself with a nearby project while keeping an eye out and tending it.

• Towering Inferno
                Editing a comment
                I already have the MB 560 which is a gravity fed unit. I do like the idea of having to tend a cook at times. Goes with my ADD. Probably why I like fly fishing so much. Constantly doing something other than sitting and waiting. Hmmm, I know if I get rid of something... Thinking out loud.

• ComfortablyNumb
                ComfortablyNumb commented
                Editing a comment
                Towering Inferno I actually enjoy tending the KBQ, especially after dark. The flames roll out the sides of the box, then the fan kicks in and the KBQ in the lower chamber lights up as the flame is drawn through the coal bed. I usually cut wood or have a small project nearby, but sitting watching the flames is relaxing. One could even tie flies.... ;-)

Towering Inferno - here’s the photo I wanted last night, side by side, 3D on the left, #2 analog on the right.

Two packer briskets in the 3D, 2 pork buts in the #2. Was cooking for my daughter’s graduation last year, over 100 people. THis shows the height difference, but not the depth. But you get the point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1E20B467-32DF-4B4F-958A-C53FD6C5D7AB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	917792
              Last edited by barelfly; September 29, 2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Towering Inferno
                Editing a comment
                A picture as they say is worth a thousand words. Side by side, who can beat that? Thanks and these cooks look awesome.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here