Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Induction Cooktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Induction Cooktop?

Been thinking about getting an induction single burner cooktop for my cast iron pot that I use for deep frying. Also for cast iron skillet frying. (I assume they work with cast iron). The smell and mess of frying in the house keeps me from making some of my favorite dishes. Does anyone have any good recommendations for this type of cooktop?

I have the Precision cooker from the TV ads. My mother bought one and got the second one free, so she gave it to me. It works like it should, and I can confirm they work great with cast iron pans. What you are describing is exactly how I use mine, plus it is great for making Alfredo sauce. Good temp control keeps you from scorching the cream. As for brands, I'd say go with what reviews good online, and meets you budget.

Bubba.

Comment

Do they still have issues with hot spots?

Comment

I have one and like it. I use it at the camper, mostly for frying duties and pretty much always with CI. Brand is NuWave, I've had it for a while now.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by xaugievike; September 29, 2019, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          xaugievike I just now saw your post. I posted yesterday looking for an electric side burner. Yours looks like I might want it. I’m looking to do the same thing. Deep fry outside, but also for searing some blackened steaks or chops. How does it work for getting a good sear on meat?

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          Im not sure if I've ever seared on it, but I've gotten it screaming hot to season CI before. I dont see why it wouldnt work really well for the job. The fascinating thing to me is how fast these things get hot. it's almost instant.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks xaugievike I’m actually gonna get this one I think. It has a larger heating coil than most and will get to 575*. Way more than most others.

I am a fan of Duxtop. I found them from a consumer review and I bit on it. I wanted to change it up for cooking outside on my patio. My portable gas burners would blow out all the time so induction was a natural choice.

My cast iron pans work great on it.

Comment

I had thought on occasion of getting one of those butane burners you see them using on all the cooking shows, for use inside and out, but an induction burner might be what I need. I can see it being useful not just for frying outdoors in my cast iron, but as a 5th burner when a lot is going on in the kitchen, to supplement our old 4 burner gas cooktop.

Comment

• xaugievike
            xaugievike commented
            Editing a comment
            My dad got it for me for Christmas one year and at the time I thought it was super gimmicky....but honestly it's a pretty dang nice, versatile gizmo to have around - your given scenarios reinforce that.

Is 1300 watts (NuWave) or 1800 watts (Duxtop) enough to keep the oil heat high enough for quick recovery after adding the food to the CI pot? I'm just asking because I remember considering this option before going with my Camp Chef Somerset IV Outdoor Gas Range (which I don't regret).

I seem to recall HouseHomey steering me to a higher powered, pricier induction option which would keep oil's temp up nicely.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; September 30, 2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, Razor, that 30,000 BTU gas burner (or in my case, 4 of them), is amazing. Best fried chicken I've ever made comes from its ability to hold the heat high on the CI pot even after dumping several cold pieces of chicken in.

Kathryn

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I love that your fried chix game is killing it. I do love fried chicken... especially wings. I say go with more power. There are certainly plenty of options.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris vac seal and steam my artichoke hearts in 10 minutes. Then grill them off. Works great.

Here's one that's 2200 watts.....

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            If you have blue and red flames coming out of an induction cook top, like in the picture for this one, I think you are in serious trouble!

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman The forth bullet down says this is infra red not induction

Here's a ton of different types, I like the looks of this 3500 watt unit at Webstraurant Store....

This Avantco IC3500 countertop induction range delivers superior usability and performance for all your cooking needs! With innovative technology capable of heating up in as little as 1 minute, this induction burner is perfect for use in cooking applications that require quick heat up times and fast recovery such as buffet tables, banquet halls, and cruise ships. And, since there's no open flame or exposed burner, this induction unit is safer than conventional countertop ranges. Plus, this range boasts a sleek, stainless steel design for a professional look that will impress your guests, while being easy to clean. For added convenience, a built-in 180 min. timer allows you to keep track of your culinary creations, and you can cook using either a power level / wattage mode (500-3500W), or a temperature mode that ranges from 140 - 460 degrees Fahrenheit. Simply place an induction-ready pan or pot on the cooking surface and turn it on! This induction cooker is compatible with induction-ready pans that have a bottom diameter between 4 3/4" and 10 1/4". For added convenience, the cooker enters "standby" mode when the pan is removed from the surface. This unit requires a 240V electrical connection. Overall Dimensions: Width: 12 7/8" Depth: 16 3/8" Height: 4 1/64"

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep those watts coming!

I think the one House Homey liked was commercial grade.

K.

• Randy-Phx
            Randy-Phx commented
            Editing a comment
            240V - I don’t have an outlet with 240v handy.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc full disclosure, we still use them all the time but my people switched to small propane live fire kind because of the non stick pans for the omelette and risotto stations.

We have an 1800 watt Duxtop that we've been fairly happy with. We bought it because we were wanting to test out induction before replacing our current flat-tip electric range. I haven't done any frying it it, but it's worked fine for other stuff. Boiling and temperature control are great. I didn't expect a whole lot out of a 120V unit and have been pleasantly surprised. Our only real complaint is the minor noise it makes. So far, that's the only thing we need to somehow verify isn't as noticeable on a full sized range before replacing with induction.

Comment

Do you folks think a single-burner unit would be safe to use while sitting on a Performer thermoset table?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              It depends on how hot the magnet and electronics get. I know most of them have internal fans to cool the workings, and are probably safe for standard counter tops and tables. Worst case, you might put a cookie sheet or pan under it to protect the thermoset, if it does get hot.

I’ve had my electric deep fryer on my Performer thermoset table before, but that has a couple inch gap from the bottom of the oil pan to the table.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Lately I am frying in a Dutch oven over the charcoal in my Performer, and skipping the electric fryer entirely...

• crazytown3
              crazytown3 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you sir. Like you say, if nothing else, I can put a sheet pan under it if it gets hot.

I'm looking to get away from frying over fire for safety reasons. I know it's been done forever, look at all the accidental fires caused by the famous turkey fryers sitting on top of gas flames. I've known a few with the scars to prove it's not the best idea.
            I appreciate the advise given I trust opinions of you great pit members way more than any online review.
            Last edited by hogdog6; September 30, 2019, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I have this one out on my patio and it works great for quick heat up of cast iron skillet. I haven't tried heating any oil for deep frying.

Comment

There’s always this one:

kenji uses it to make a burger in a small CI pan. $1500 burner to heat a $15 pan

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A $1515 up front investment for a burger--wow. That would have to be a heckuva burger.

K.

I'm going to try and answer fzxdoc without resorting to PowerPoint slides.....

Induction is generally considered twice as efficient as gas at converting energy into cooking heat. The DOE lists induction efficiency at 84% and gas efficiency at 39.6%. Because of the difference in efficiency we can't do a straight BTU to watts comparison. What we have to do instead is convert BTU to kilowatts and subtract the wasted energy from each. Using the DOE's numbers and skipping some of the math you can use BTU/hour = kW x 7185 to make a comparison so...
                Watt Induction BTU Gas
                1500 10,777
                1800 12,933
                2400 17,244
                3500 25,147
                Another thing to consider with induction is the current. 1800 watts = 15 Amps @120 Volts maxing out a standard 15 Amp circuit. 2400 watts = 20 Amps @120 Volts so you jump to needing a 240V circuit pretty quick.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here