Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Kosher Meat - tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Kosher Meat - tips?

I need to cook some kosher meats - brisket, ribs (beef, obviously!) and chicken. I know that the koshering process involves salt and kosher meat often tastes saltier. Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless.
    Any tips on desalinating or other aspects of kooking Kosher?
    Cheers!

Just leave the salt out of any rubs and you should be fine. I'm not sure if beef would be salted, but chicken more than likely will. In any case, if it's packaged it will list the sodium content. If not, the butcher should be able to tell you. Be sure not to ruin the meal for your kosher diners by using or serving any milk-containing products in the same meal. If you do that, it wouldn't matter if the meat was kosher because the whole meal would have been rendered trayff (Yiddish word for not kosher).

Comment

Thanks Mgaretz! It's a kosher BBQ contest at the local synagogue. I've never entered a contest, or tried to cook with Kosher meat. So this is a bit a leap. They are kashering all the pits with blowtorches, purchasing all the ingredients, kashering all the utensils, etc. So it just comes down to the meat! I've scrapped any salt in the rubs, but I'm wondering if the meat needs to be soaked (or if there is another method) for reducing the salinity further.
      Cheers! Matt

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Kosher meat isn't that salty. I wouldn't worry.

Good luck!

Comment

I did a kosher brisket last year for part of the family and didn't change anything as far as rub or injecting. However, the brisket I was able to get was trimmed quite a bit (usual sales being for oven cooks) so it didn't have much of a fat cap. Have they told you what they're providing - just flats or whole packers?

Comment

It seems to be a cross between a BBQ comp and iron chef. I have no idea till they open the delivery truck (nor do they). Even to the point where we don't know if we're getting back ribs or short. I fully anticipate the brisket to be heavily trimmed - every kosher one that I've seen has been. As you say, they are typically in the chulent so fat cap is trimmed off. There is going to be some thinking on the feet.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! We took 3rd in the ribs (25 teams) - which I was happy about. Only 1 - 3rd were ever called out, so no idea how we placed in other categories. I had really hoped to do well in the brisket, but I turned in our 3rd best brisket, cut incorrectly. Only myself to blame there, but rookie error. Fun weekend!

As an aside - for both the ribs and brisket I soaked them in a bucket of water while trimming in an attempt to reduce the exterior salt. I also removed any salt from the rubs. Neither ribs nor brisket tasted salty, but also didn't taste like they needed salt either, so it seemed to work. (the kosher rules required that we trim on site, which I did solo. So the meat spent about 2 hours in the water).

Comment

Good job! That seemed like a tough competition to enter. I am sure you will do better next time.

Comment

Thanks Smarkley! It was an experience (and a lot of work as a one man team for the prep!, a mate joined day of to help serve). It was PBC and Weber kettle all the way.

Comment

Nice!!! How did you like the PBC when using it under pressure, so to speak?

Comment

• mtford72
                    mtford72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was a champ! I'll post in the PBC thread.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it’s easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
                Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared†Zone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker