Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking Kosher Meat - tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking Kosher Meat - tips?

I need to cook some kosher meats - brisket, ribs (beef, obviously!) and chicken. I know that the koshering process involves salt and kosher meat often tastes saltier. Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless.
    Any tips on desalinating or other aspects of kooking Kosher?
    Cheers!

Just leave the salt out of any rubs and you should be fine. I'm not sure if beef would be salted, but chicken more than likely will. In any case, if it's packaged it will list the sodium content. If not, the butcher should be able to tell you. Be sure not to ruin the meal for your kosher diners by using or serving any milk-containing products in the same meal. If you do that, it wouldn't matter if the meat was kosher because the whole meal would have been rendered trayff (Yiddish word for not kosher).

Comment

Thanks Mgaretz! It's a kosher BBQ contest at the local synagogue. I've never entered a contest, or tried to cook with Kosher meat. So this is a bit a leap. They are kashering all the pits with blowtorches, purchasing all the ingredients, kashering all the utensils, etc. So it just comes down to the meat! I've scrapped any salt in the rubs, but I'm wondering if the meat needs to be soaked (or if there is another method) for reducing the salinity further.
      Cheers! Matt

Comment

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Kosher meat isn't that salty. I wouldn't worry.

Good luck!

Comment

I did a kosher brisket last year for part of the family and didn't change anything as far as rub or injecting. However, the brisket I was able to get was trimmed quite a bit (usual sales being for oven cooks) so it didn't have much of a fat cap. Have they told you what they're providing - just flats or whole packers?

Comment

It seems to be a cross between a BBQ comp and iron chef. I have no idea till they open the delivery truck (nor do they). Even to the point where we don't know if we're getting back ribs or short. I fully anticipate the brisket to be heavily trimmed - every kosher one that I've seen has been. As you say, they are typically in the chulent so fat cap is trimmed off. There is going to be some thinking on the feet.

Comment

Thanks for the tips! We took 3rd in the ribs (25 teams) - which I was happy about. Only 1 - 3rd were ever called out, so no idea how we placed in other categories. I had really hoped to do well in the brisket, but I turned in our 3rd best brisket, cut incorrectly. Only myself to blame there, but rookie error. Fun weekend!

As an aside - for both the ribs and brisket I soaked them in a bucket of water while trimming in an attempt to reduce the exterior salt. I also removed any salt from the rubs. Neither ribs nor brisket tasted salty, but also didn't taste like they needed salt either, so it seemed to work. (the kosher rules required that we trim on site, which I did solo. So the meat spent about 2 hours in the water).

Comment

Good job! That seemed like a tough competition to enter. I am sure you will do better next time.

Comment

Thanks Smarkley! It was an experience (and a lot of work as a one man team for the prep!, a mate joined day of to help serve). It was PBC and Weber kettle all the way.

Comment

Nice!!! How did you like the PBC when using it under pressure, so to speak?

Comment

• mtford72
                    mtford72 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It was a champ! I'll post in the PBC thread.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here