Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st State BBQ Bash - The Adventure Continues

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1st State BBQ Bash - The Adventure Continues

    Over the weekend my parents and I traveled to Milford, De. to compete in the 1st State BBQ Bash. Thanks to the Nor'easter the weather was not the best, what's a little rain and wind. By Sunday my cook area was like a swamp, not fun but made it work.

    This was my first KCBS (Kansas City Barbecue Society) sanctioned contest. This was a two day competition and I competed in the Backyard Division cooking Ribs and Chicken.

    The results: Saturday finished 2nd in Ribs and 7th Overall. Sunday finished 1st in Ribs and 7th Overall. The 1st place in Ribs also got me an invite to the KCBS World Invitational BBQ Contest next year.

    ETA: the PBC and PBX did an excellent job.

    I met alot of great people over the weekend.

    Next up for BKYDBBQ is the The MoCo Smoke Show on October 17th in Wheaton, Md.

    Day 1 Chicken and Ribs

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1254.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,011.5 KB ID:	1889664

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	646.0 KB ID:	1889663

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1263.jpg Views:	0 Size:	537.9 KB ID:	1889662

    Day 2

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1276.jpg Views:	0 Size:	663.3 KB ID:	1889665
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1279.jpg Views:	0 Size:	624.5 KB ID:	1889666

    The Cook-site

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1271.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1889667

    The end result

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1285.jpg Views:	0 Size:	731.5 KB ID:	1889668

    ​

    #2
    The turn ins look awesome! Congrats.

    Comment


      #3
      Congratulations on the ribs wins. First place, wooo, way to go!
      I’m sure it was hard to have fun cooking in those conditions. But it sounds like you made the most of it.

      Comment


        #4
        Awesome! Congratulations on success.

        Comment


          #5
          Congrats to you my friend! With your posts recently on comps, I looked to see what New Mexico has for this, as I think it would be fun just to watch and see what these are like. I’ve never attended one, but there isn’t much here for this.

          So….i’ll live vicariously through your journey as you start to rack up these trophies!

          thanks again for sharing the photos as you go through this! Very cool to see!

          Comment


            #6
            Congrats on the wins! Like others have already said, your turn-ins look like the winners they are!

            Comment


              #7
              Good looking turn-ins. Keep up the good work!!

              Comment


                #8
                Congratulations, your boxes look great! 1st and 2nd place on ribs is certainly impressive for sure.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Mighty fine looking chix & ribs..the trophies are awesome too, very original. Congrats Chris

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Outstanding! Great job!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Great job!!!!😁

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You did very well for the first time. Rain and wind do not help.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Congrats. Having never been to a competition, (only watched them on TV), Is there feed back of any kind? That chicken looks amazing. I tend to lean the most from honest criticism. Your write ups are fun to read. Thanks for bringing us along on your journey.

                          Comment


                          • BKYDBBQ
                            BKYDBBQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I did get some comments back. I scored well on appearance but day 2 comments were too dry and day 1 the comments were too peppery.

                          • Kascon11
                            Kascon11 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            So we all know the PBC is a rib machine. I have struggled with chicken on my PBC and basically have given up cooking chicken on it. Since my wife does not like smoke flavor, I cook her chicken in the air fryer now. Did you find the chicken dry? So is your plan to keep trying the PBC or find a different cooker? Would using a sausage hanger or basket for the thighs and finish on the grate work?

                          • BKYDBBQ
                            BKYDBBQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Kascon11 I did receive comments from the judges that the chicken was dry, even though it was cooked in a butter bath...

                          #14
                          Hell yeah man, congrats! It looks like you could have had a mud wrestling comp in that spot afterwards.

                          Comment


                          • BKYDBBQ
                            BKYDBBQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The team next to me and I were definitely in the mud...we were calling it the swamp.

                          #15
                          Great job. Congrats

                          Do you scrap the fat off the chicken skin?

                          Did you get any comment cards?

                          Comment


                          • BKYDBBQ
                            BKYDBBQ commented
                            Editing a comment
                            TripleB I scrape off the larger bits of the fat and the jiccard the skins. I did get a few comment cards. Day 2 the main comment was Dry and day 1 the comments they were too peppery.

                          • TripleB
                            TripleB commented
                            Editing a comment
                            BKYDBBQ Presentation is easy to meet since a Judge is really looking for disqualification factors. Of couse if it is a hot mess in the box, you'll get graded down. Tenderness is fairly easy to meet. Taste is the tough one. It is hard under KCBS rules to define taste for judges. Too peppery for one judge might be perfect to another.

                          • TripleB
                            TripleB commented
                            Editing a comment
                            BKYDBBQ Oh and here is a competition trick. Instead of using the thigh skin, replace it with breast skin. Breast skin is thinner and easier to "bite through".

                        Announcement

                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        0
                        Guest
                        Guest
                        500
                        ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                        7