Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Comp - Let the Adventure Begin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    You go man! What is the turn in? Pork ribs, chicken, pulled pork and brisket? Any special additions like dessert, hamburgers for the kids or tri-tip? Here's a tip, don't spend a lot of time on the presentation. What I mean is competitors take a lot of time to make sure their turn in looks perfect. From the parsley mat to the brush strokes on the meat. Nothing is worse for a judge to get cold food. Cuts your score by quite a bit. Make sure you turn it in warm as possible and don't turn it in too early.

    Good luck

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      BKYDBBQ

      ☝🏼☝🏼 this and he ought to know!!!

    #17
    Awesome!

    Comment


      #18
      Yeah, we need pics of the adventure! Good luck. Kick butt and take names!

      B

      Comment


        #19
        Sweet! Best of luck and I’m looking forward to hearing about it.

        Comment


          #20
          Not gonna lie.. the setup being right outside of a cemetery has me a bit curious. 🀷

          Comment


          • Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            People are dying to participate! πŸ€“

          • Carolyn
            Carolyn commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't look close enough to catch that. Looks like the brewing company sponsoring the cook-off is right across the street from a church and cemetery. Actually, it almost looks like a large driveway rather than a street.

          • BKYDBBQ
            BKYDBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Carolyn It was almost more of a graveled alley, and where I was parked created a challenge for alot of people that were trying to enter the parking lot from the alley.

          #21
          I just got home less than two hours ago and am exhausted...All Nighters Hurt More Than They Used To...

          Pics and a full rundown of the weekend coming tomorrow...

          I will tease that I learned a lot this weekend which was part of the point.

          Plus I met a couple of great Pitmasters...

          Another tease...

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1218.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1887279

          Comment


          • Allon
            Allon commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations 🎊 πŸ‘

          • Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Congratulations! Nice that your practice is paying off.

          • realdocBBQ
            realdocBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            W00T! Great job man!

          #22
          Awesome Chris and congratulations on your win(s)!

          Comment


            #23
            Great job! Looking forward to hearing how it went.

            Comment


              #24
              Nice, great job!!!!!!

              Comment


                #25
                Here is the full update not that I have had some time to sleep and recover.

                Traveled to Northern Neck Brewing Co. in Montross Va. to compete in the 1st Annual Best of the Northern Neck BBQ Cook-Off.

                There were two other teams competing Preacher Dave;s BBQ, a former KCBS competitor and current BBQ food truck owner and Bushins BBQ, a current KCBS Backyard Competitor.

                Teams had the option to compete in KCBS styled competitions of Ribs, Pork, Chicken Brisket and also a People's Choice (pulled pork). I opted to only compete in Ribs, Chicken and People's Choice the other competed in all of the meats.

                Dad and I arrived Friday afternoon and got setup. After dinner I got the ribs chicken and butts prepped.

                The butts went on the PBC, three butts on a PBC it tight fit, around 10pm. Cooked the butts overnight, they were finally done a little after nine. Longest cook I have done on the PBC.

                Saturday morning got the ribs and chicken seasoned up. Ribs were cooked on the PBX, that is rib cooking machine. Chicken went on the PBC after a fuel reload. I was nervous about the chicken since they were going on the pit later than I usually put them on.

                Everything came out awesome. The first rack of ribs I sliced into and I knew they were the ones, even my dad could tell just from the way they looked when sliced. The other racks came out good as well.

                Chicken went smooth and came out pretty tasty. I still need to improve my Chicken trimming skills.

                So far the two parts of comp BBQ that really sucks is trimming chicken and garnishing the turn-in box, but both will get better with practice.

                The final results, BKYDBBQ won first in Ribs and Chicken so I consider that a good weekend.

                I learned a lot and got to meet and talk BBQ with some other great pitmasters.

                This was a great chance to practice my comp skills before entering my first KCBS competition.

                Now time reset and reload for next weekend's First State BBQ Bash in Milford, De. This is a two day KCBS competition.

                Now for what everyone has been waiting for, the pictures.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	65DBC15C-CBEA-4D4A-92A3-942CCFD4A5C4IMG_5294.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1887396
                Click image for larger version

Name:	56C9BC67-38E5-49A1-B249-91448BE2499EIMG_5278.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1887397
                Click image for larger version

Name:	4C8D6BFF-71A0-46A4-9EBF-8BAEDDC95B64IMG_5290.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	941.0 KB
ID:	1887392
                Click image for larger version

Name:	04D6277B-3621-4CCF-A565-7E45CA83FCA2IMG_5272.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	965.0 KB
ID:	1887391
                Click image for larger version

Name:	93EB007E-E7C6-4B6A-BE1D-62FD136856B8IMG_5266.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1887395


                Click image for larger version

Name:	866EFBE0-77E4-47DC-BB6E-AB5480617ABDIMG_5231.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	811.4 KB
ID:	1887390
                Click image for larger version

Name:	2E3BC5DA-DABF-4128-BC76-D7BA41B261AAIMG_5249.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	738.1 KB
ID:	1887389

                The rack on top are the ones that were used for the turn-in box.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	07CA49CE-BC87-4112-93A6-7F2A2F5F9B6DIMG_5307.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1887393
                Click image for larger version

Name:	AE4709D7-5CD0-4A64-93D3-B485D9F457ABIMG_5315.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	864.7 KB
ID:	1887394


                Comment


                • BKYDBBQ
                  BKYDBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TripleB there were only three teams total.

                  I am happy to get them cut cleanly, when my skills improve I will consider other cuts. I do like the Hollywood cut though.

                • SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What’s a Hollywood cut?

                  Edit: I looked it up. Your ribs look great to me v. the images I saw when I looked it up!

                • dpearce
                  dpearce commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Congrats man! Some nice looking boxes there! I can't remember where I saw this, probably on the old "Pitmasters" show, but I recall someone used scissors to trim up their chicken after some initial knife work.

                #26
                Wow. Wow wow wow.

                Those turn in boxes look great!

                I'll be honest those ribs in that first pic look pretty charred on the bottom side. But obviously the other ribs must have been great because you kicked butt and beat out two other experienced KCBS competitors! Strong work, man! You got it goin' on!

                Comment


                • BKYDBBQ
                  BKYDBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  realdocBBQ yes, they were the last rack to come off and be sliced and were a little more charred. They were also the ones with the shortest bones, I knew going in they probably weren't going to make the box. The pic with all three racks, they are the ones on the bottom.

                • realdocBBQ
                  realdocBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seriously, congratulations, buddy! That's got to feel pretty good, to validate all your hard work like that in the first comp! I've been told so many times I needed to compete, and have been tempted in some of our local comps, but I just don't have the patience or desire to put the effort into that kind of presentation. It feels like it's more about the looks than anything else, and I'm just not that worried about it. So I wouldn't do well. lol

                • BKYDBBQ
                  BKYDBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  realdocBBQ if you have a comp fairly close to you give it a shot.

                  If you know someone that competes ask if you can tag along with them to a comp and you can see firsthand what it is all about. That is what I did. If you don't know someone go to a comp, walk around after turn-ins and chat with some of the pitmasters. If you get to know one maybe you can tag along in the future.

                #27
                Congrats again. The product looks amazing. I might still want to apply for that taster position

                Comment


                • BKYDBBQ
                  BKYDBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  klflowers if I get to a comp in your area, you are welcome to come hang out and be a taste tester...

                • SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Me, too!

                #28
                Outstanding!
                Our local farmers' mkt requires weights on canopy legs; I believe 24 pounds each.
                How do. these comps work re the meats? Do you provide your own, or buy theirs, or it is covered by the entry fee?

                Comment


                  #29
                  Pictures--it happened.
                  Thanks for keeping us posted on this adventure.
                  Last edited by bbqLuv; September 20, 2026, 11:25 AM.

                  Comment


                  • Panhead John
                    Panhead John commented
                    Editing a comment
                    πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘†πŸ‘† Looky up there……a few posts up.
                    Last edited by Panhead John; September 20, 2026, 11:11 AM.

                  #30
                  Congratulations again. Those turn in boxes look great. You should be extraordinarily pleased with your work.

                  Good luck next week.

                  Comment

                  Announcement

                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  0
                  Guest
                  Guest
                  500
                  ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
                  7