Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why strive for competition style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why strive for competition style?

I am a KCBS judge, 26 events, not quite a master judge. I started that all to become a better cook, some of that has worked out. I don't need to learn how to garnish at home, or most of all timelines for turn ins. Competition stresses many things that do not lend to good home cooks. I nailed ribs in my last cook, for a KCBS turn in type. It was too sweet for me to eat an entire meal of. Somehow, I think we have to cook bbq and reward this that people at home would actually like to eat all the time, not just one bite.

Calls, trophies, and money are fun but at the end of the day seeing your friends, family, and guests busting at the seams from eating all your Q is a more fulfilling reward.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      I most heartily agree, brother!
      Well stated!

I don't strive for competition style, I strive for Mr. & Mrs. ribeyeguy style, food cooked to our liking. Might not win a competition but we enjoy it!

Comment

• Mark V
      Mark V commented
      Editing a comment
      The best bbq is what you like.

I'm with you, Mark v. I have done one KCBS backyard competition and am a certified judge. The judging aspect is actually kind of fun, but I would much rather just cook at home instead of jumping through all those silly hoops. I really don't see myself competing anywhere other than the annual backyard competition in my hometown.

Comment

Eat what you cook, then judge what you eat. Nothing else really matters.

Comment

I agree with you. I'm also thinking BBQ is meant to be food for the common folk with a history of it being magic because meager means turned really tough pieces of pork and beef into tender pieces of smoked goodness! In competitions the guy who buys the Wagu brisket seemingly has an advantage. I wish they had a contest where everyone had the same starting meat/pork/poultry. Then it would be a cookin' contest. Meanwhile, the best BBQ is ALWAYS prepared by someone you know who made it with love!

Comment

• Mark V
          Mark V commented
          Editing a comment
          I think there are contests like that, SCA as a matter of fact, same meat to choose from. Should all the bbq contests go the same way?

Well, as Sly said "Different strokes for different folks"! I'm a backyard, personal satisfaction kind of guy. But if others want the bright lights and the companionship, bless them as well!

Comment

I've learned from competition food profiles. More than anything, it's improved my chicken. But as has been said above, it's also taught what not to do to make a meal appealing, instead of some bites that taste great. Rich, decadent; I don't know where this has a place on a hardwood table with mugs of beer and folks that are famished and want a lot to savor over.

The ULTIMATE pleasure I have is when hearing my family 'didn't really eat yet today' because I was cooking. You don't serve morsels of goodness for this, you serve a feast. A medieval one...

Comment

I buy bargain meat almost always choice,when on sale for half price. I like a little chew so I can savor the meal. I don’t think that would win many contests

Comment

I have never competed (except with friends in the backyard) and have never judged. However, I have watched enough of the competition shows to know that they play an important role in BBQ. From trimming techniques, to Cambro, to timing for serving. They all have added to my backyard, friend and family serving experiences.
              Last edited by tbob4; October 31, 2018, 09:22 PM.

Comment

• Mark V
                Mark V commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, there are lessons there, I have upped my bbq because of judging and listening to the competition cooks (some are judges also). The competition shows and contests have undoubtedly played a huge part in the rise of bbq lately. Not to mention the many excellent bbq
                cookers available now, all of which you see in competition.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here