Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Weather Kamado life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Weather Kamado life

So I've run into a new issue I'd never thought about.....a frozen shut Primo.

looks like there's enough charcoal in the bottom that I can kiss it with a torch to warm up enough to thaw...but im wondering how others both deal with and prevent this issue?

Yeah, you can light it from the bottom and open that top damper wide open.

I will put a few pieces of parchment paper in-between the lid and the body when I am done cooking. It can take the heat after a cook and you won't have to worry about it.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      .....and then go jump in the sauna. Henrik

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You betcha Spinaker! I’ve been upgrading and tweaking it during the pandemic, now use it a few times a week. Pure gold!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too! It is one of the best things for your body during these times! Henrik

The only thing our BKK gets is covered and even the cover is getting kinda ragged.
    Plus the Keg is metal so you can give it a few love taps to open up.
    Except for the last two weeks its been on the mild side her so not much of a problem this year

Comment

Heat gun from the top down. To prevent it, use a small piece of something to keep the lid slightly open. Don’t forget to do it, like I did.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BC27362F-8056-4E09-B35C-4FD1246309B0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	76.5 KB ID:	989550
      Last edited by Mosca; February 14, 2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks a little cold to be sitting out in the sun sipping a cold PBR, but not too cold to BBQ.

A small fire below the fire box where your vent is will probably do the trick.

Comment

You could move to Florida...

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Move to Florida and become a Gator Griller.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          haha, I feel like that is a great idea right now.

Thank you so much for this good advice,
        and this from a pellet griller.
        Happy grilling to you

Comment

I put mine under a roof.

​​
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Resizer_16133279915250.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	989610

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            When it gets super cold, it is just the moisture that is left in the cooker as it cools down. Roof or not, you will get some moisture on the gasket, and super cold temps will lock it right up. That being said, I need to build a roof for my grilling area. That is on the docket for this summer......if it ever gets to MN.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, I see. Well, now I'll just try to rely on our mild climate. It's been a rare 25f in recent days here. Is that cold enough to seal it shut?

Starter cube in the bottom ash tray has worked before on my KJ. I typically just use a propane torch to light, but I keep starter cubes on hand for times like that or trying to get the charcoal going when it’s 10 degrees outside.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, this is a great way to do it too.

+2 on using the ash tray with a small fire—lighter cube(s) and maybe 1 small charcoal chunk. Warm it up SLOWLY. Don’t want to crack the ceramic.

Comment

There it is, SLOW! Don’t crack the mic.

Comment

some well timed afternoon sun (that didnt last long) warmed the body up enough that I was able to get it open...got a small fire started now to bring her up slowly for dinner. Filet's for my valentines, ribeye for me. some good advice from y'all though...sincere thanks for that.

Comment

When my KJ starts sticking it usually means I've not cleaned it in a while. This last time it was so bad it took the fire almost half an hour to melt it loose. I dread those self cleaning cycles. Mine requires constant attention or it will get way too hot. It always means new gasket time also. I'm sure it's frozen shut now, but so is every thing on the place. You know you've neglected your cooker when it's glued shut at 70f.

Comment

I take the top vent off drop in some charcoal and light.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here