Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indirect Heat Question (Steaks)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indirect Heat Question (Steaks)

I'm cooking on a Monolith. They come with a charcoal basket with a divider as well as a two halves of a ceramic indirect heat plate.

I typically fill my bed and use the ceramic plate for indirect heat for finishing to temperature. Anyone think using a charcoal divider is the better approach? Or using both a divider and an indirect heat plate?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Sorry, can't help. I had to Google Monolith, I'm not a ceramic guy.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol! tryin to pitcher a wee,lil, ceramic CN, mebbe even a dashboard version!
      How dat leg doin, now, Brother?

Reckon there will be more hyper experienced, an qualified folks along to answer yer question than ya can shake a stick at, but I ain't among those qualified, bein mostly a knuckle-draggin stickburner, my dang ol self...

Comment

No worries. I suppose my question was more to whether people prefer indirect heat plates or 2 zone cooking (generally).

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I am doing thicker steaks, I generally prefer two-zone, so I can reverse sear. If I am doing pork butts or a chicken or turkey, I go with the heat deflector method. YMMV, of course.

Mr. Bones It's not hard with a little imagination!

Click image for larger version

Name:	36541cb63791889c8607008dcb50b1ed.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	731510

Leg getting along, see the doctor on Tuesday. All my boots are pull on, so I ordered a pair of lace ups since my foot swells. Hope to get out of the orthopedic shoe and into them. Thanks for asking.

Comment

I have a BGE. It's hard to use two zones on them. I will use the ceramic plate indirect to temp then pull the steaks, remove the grate and plate, and open up vents to get to searing temp. I do my reverse sear cooking on my PK360. I like it better because you don't have to pull the steak, grate, and ceramic plate to sear...just slide it over to the the hot zone.

Try it both ways and see which one works for you on the Monolith.

Comment

Like Thunder77 I use 2 zone for steaks in my KJ. I also use the 2 zone for chicken thighs, I get them to about 160 IT on indirect then over to direct for crisp skin. For brisket, ribs and pork butt it's both halves in place for complete indirect.

Comment

i use the divider and basket when doing a reverse sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here