Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs & Pork Butt On Kamado - How Do You Deal With Rendered Fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs & Pork Butt On Kamado - How Do You Deal With Rendered Fat?

I’m picking up an Akorn + "heat shield" ceramic insert this weekend. Yes, I succumbed to MCS....

How do you cook ribs & pork butt? On my WSM the grease collects in the water pan for disposal. But I’ve been reading the posts on Kamados, and most say the cooker is so air-tight it does’t need a water pan.

So: let the fat drip onto the shield & burn off? Or put some kind of aluminum pan in there to catch the drippings?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I use a shallow disposable pan in my large BGE, and I cover the top of the plate setter with foil. Grease dripping onto the deflector and into the cooker is a mess you don’t want. Might not be as big of a deal if you cook all the time, but grease-soaked ceramic is something to avoid. Enjoy your new cooker!

Comment

• NoogaQ
      NoogaQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Do the same thing with my BGE and no problems.

I use a round metal drip pan lined with foil under the grate on top of the plate setter.

Comment

Same as everyone else. Put an empty foil pan on the diffuser, under the grate.

Comment

I foil my heat deflectors and use a drip pan on top of them. I might even add some veggies in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_183117.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	694316 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Anton32828
          Anton32828 commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks like a great idea for potatoes or beans!

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting table decoration

As others have stated, Use a water filled drip pan. Round is best for the Akorn. Get the pan as large as you can, and only leave an inch or so around the edge. This setup worked well in my Akorn(sadly deceased). If I used a square pan and didn't cover the cooking surface well with a drip area, I would have serious flare ups. When using a good round pan, and making sure all the meat had a place to drip, the results were fantastic with no drama.Less work too...lol

Comment

I just foil the diffuser and call it a day.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, same here.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto

Just simple foil works great. If you've already cooked over a bare diffuser no big deal just get a HOT fire going and do a good burn off cleaning. All will be well.

Comment

I foil the diffuser and place a shallow disposable aluminum pan on top.

Comment

I look at it this way, if I want to keep the dripping for something i use a pan of some sort but you have to create a small airgap somehow between the pan/container and the diffuser or it will all burn. If i do not want to keep what drips i just foil the diffuser like others and call it a day.

Comment

I use a shallow disposable 9x13 pan in Fred. Nice thing about the disposable ones is no real cleaning of it involved. Pull it out and throw it all away once it has cooled. Pop in another and hammer down.

Comment

Here is my new Akorn on its seasoning burn. I thought I’d get that done in between thunderstorms here in Florida. Thanks for all your advice! Weather permitting, this is cooking pulled pork over July 4th!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It looks taller then I remember.

I have let the fat drip right on the platesetter, i have also used a water pan . either way works fine , could wrap platesetter in foil too . Its not a big deal . I find you get slightly crunchier bark without the water. so there it is.

Comment

No water pan is needed in a ceramic cooker! I do use a drip pan, on the heat shield ceramic, spaced above the ceramic with copper plumbing ells, 1/2 inch is fine, I use three. It helps to keep the drippings from burning.

Comment

I foil the ceramic diffuser on my Primo and that’s all I do .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here