Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Love my Primo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Love my Primo

There’ve been a couple post about kamados recently. I had a cook today that reaffirmed my love for mine. Today I planned to cook some pork belly burnt ends. At 2:20 I realized I’d forgotten about this and had to pick up my daughter at 3:15. I quickly stirred the remaining coals to make the ash drop underneath. Filled up the Primo w lump added a paraffin cube and covered it w a chimney full of lump. 15 mins later I dumped the chimney of hot coals over the top of the lump in the cooker, added 2 chunks of wood, inserted the heat deflectors and closed the lid. After 15 mins the temp gauge was a little over 200 but bc I’d used a whole chimney of hot coals I already had nice blue smoke. So I put in the meat on and adjusted the vents. At this point I’ve got a pretty good idea on how the temps rise and made an educated guess w the vents. I wanted the temps to get somewhere between 250 and 300. At 2:55 I left to pick up my daughter and take her to Jiu Jitsu as well as take my son For a hair cut. 2 hours later I returned to find my cooker chugging along at around 265 degrees. Perfect. I’ve pretty much stopped obsessing about temps etc and no longer use my Maverick after one of the probes stopped working. I just use the Primo thermometer and try to use my senses rather than rely on technology. Based on visuals I opted to give the pork belly chunks another half hour of smoke before steaming them in a tinfoil packet w brown sugar and honey. I then covered them w a glaze of Sweet Baby Ray’s, Texas Rib Candy, and Pete’s. I finally found a good use for my leftover Rib Candy that I haven’t been so impressed with. Perfect in a glaze!!

Primos are excellent cookers. I’m now able to get this up and running w good smoke in 30 minutes. That temp was locked in and could’ve gone another 6 hrs without touching it. That’s VERY convenient. It really help me get all my chores done!

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1856C76-A8D0-4D66-B440-53A90B99760E.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	689536Click image for larger version

Name:	7958ADF5-4508-43E7-928D-5E87BB4F310E.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	689534Click image for larger version

Name:	AFACB580-9A49-4E41-8ABD-10CB9829F786.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	689535Click image for larger version

Name:	D59E0B06-76A5-4CE8-B393-A7ACD6A02F40.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	689531Click image for larger version

Name:	1AC0EDA9-419E-471C-8543-96C1AB0CF958.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	689532Click image for larger version

Name:	4E0D0067-660E-44F0-A22F-8F24473ED368.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	689533

I enjoy my Kamado, too!

Comment

And I love my kettle...

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I was given a kettle. Haven’t taken possession yet but I’m excited to cook on it.

Delicious lookin cook, relyin on yer keen, experienced powers of observation!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I’m trying to let go of my dependency on recipes and gadgets. Not completely but definitely not sweating the small stuff.

Nice Erik. As I use my kamados more I totally understand what you’re saying. Once you have a good feel for it. It really is a "set it and forgot it" Kind of cooker.
      Oh BTW nice looking food as well. 👍👍

Comment

The Primo is the cooler I have my eye on when I finally go down the kamado road. It’s just a matter of when. (Probably when I get a bigger back yard.)

Comment

I really do think the Primo is the sweet spot for kamodos. I love my XL.

Comment

Jeez, if the pics were any closer I’d have a mess all over the front of me. It’s cool when you learn a cooker & you do the job by "feel". Impressive!

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it’s very gratifying.

Me too!

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment

I’d say you’ve mastered your Primo and having lots of fun cooking on it. Here’s to many many more great cooks and great eating! I enjoyed your write up. Food looks delicious.

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks @fuzzydaddy!!

Good post JCBBQ ! I like my Kamado (BGE) too! Fun cookers!

Comment

Great looking food! I love my Primo Junior. It is a great cooker.

Comment

I might as well get one.......right?

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup!!!

• painter
                  painter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Primo 300 changed my game...go for it!

• Thunder77
                  Thunder77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great deal. Go for it!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here