Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A picture of thin, blue smoke. BGE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A picture of thin, blue smoke. BGE.

It’s a beautiful day in Northeastern PA!

Nothing special, just a picture. I had to wait about 45 minutes, and actually got impatient and put the pork butts in while the smoke was still gray, they got maybe 10 minutes of that. Not enough to worry. But thin blue smoke is very satisfying.

The cook is bone in pork shoulder, two roasts. I’m doing them at 275*, on at 8:15 AM, should be done at maybe 5 PM? That’s a guess. MMD for the rub, I like that stuff, rosemary and ginger and all.

Once the the temperature settles (rising slowly from adding the meat) I’ll shower and make breakfast. Happy cooking!

Click image for larger version

Name:	22A9CABC-B0FB-4329-B6F0-5D0BFEFB5799.jpeg
Views:	485
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	688742

I hope the egg didn't suffer too much separation anxiety while on your South American tour! ;-)

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t start using it this season until after we got home; under the dome, the ceramic in the lid had flakes peeling off, looked like freeze/thaw. BGE sent a replacement!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca Very decent of them, indeed! Any ideas of how to prevent that in the future? Other than keeping it lit all winter... ;-)

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked it up on the BGE forums, there were a few people who bought around the same time I did who had the same problem. I don’t think it will be an ongoing issue. I was more concerned that my dealer had the record of my purchase, lord knows where my receipt is!

I can smell it from here.

Comment

Excellent plan.
      We actually have some sunshine here in the GTA today so its going to be rib time this afternoon.
      May toss on a coupla chicken breasts too.

Comment

I guess that’s close enough.

Name:	E0C11D57-3251-4C52-BC40-FD09D7F3D6FB.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	688777

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
          Editing a comment
          Looks like a rock concert stage. Which one controls the lasers?

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Or an ICU! Two meats, two temp probes. The second pit probe is to keep the unit from beeping.

Blue smoke, thing of beauty !!

Comment

Looks like a great start to a beautiful Sunday, Brother!

Comment

Name:	D627229B-EA98-446A-9ED0-0E45A243053D.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	688837

Comment

Outstanding....your address please!!!!

Comment

Looking good Mosca It’s close to 4pm now so you gotta be gettin close.
                And yes it’s a beautiful day here in the northeast. 🙌

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  Editing a comment
                  My clock must be slow, it's only 1pm here! ;-)

• Mosca
                  Mosca commented
                  Editing a comment
                  4:30, they’re at about 190. I turned them down to 250 for most of the cook, we want to eat around 7. Should be done in an hour, then an hour in the cambro, then dining time!

• Steve B
                  Steve B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Excellent 👍👍👍👍

Name:	BA770AC9-5287-42A7-A164-D1FB53B0732B.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	689038

Comment

A couple of questions - what was the weight and thickness of the Butt? Bone in or boneless?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mosca I don’t usually cook at 275, so I asked about thickness of the butts to get a parallel to the cook time of 10-11 pounders I cook. They are usually from 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 inches thick. Meathead says thickness determines cook time, so the thickness would give me an idea on cook time when doing them at 275. Did you cook them on two levels or one?

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Side by side, rotated halfway. The rear is hotter in my BGE, and that was where the probes were. I tied them to make them rounder, maybe 7"?

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mosca Thanks!

Nice play by play. 10.5 hours cook. About right. Under 12 hours. Beautiful finish!

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    One of them was perfect, the other could have used another hour. But once you pull it, and lightly sauce it, you can’t really tell.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here