Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vision Grill - chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vision Grill - chimney

Unfortunately I don’t have a awning to keep the rain off of the grill in bad weather. Well, I sure hadn’t planned on letting a little storm derail my plans of smoking ribs Saturday. So, does anyone know of a good fix for keeping the rain out of a vision grill top vent? I contacted SmokeWare and unfortunately their cap does not fit the vision.

Any suggestions or tips one could throw my way?

Thank you in advance!

Might something like this, available at about any hardware store, work?

Shop IMPERIAL 4-in dia Galvanized Steel Rain Cap in the Duct Caps department at Lowe's.com. Designed for rooftop venting, this Imperial 4-in Rain Cap is used to cap pipe that extends through the roof. The vent cap helps control back drafts and

I am thinking just set it over the vent, obviously if it is windy out, this might blow off...

Comment

Or even something like a duct end cap, available in stock in 6" and 8" sizes. Use tin snips or a drill to make holes in the sides, and let it sit over the top vent of the manado...

Comment

• bbq_joe
        bbq_joe commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I hadn’t even looked at Lowe’s yet.

If you have a market umbrella with a patio set that could help. Also, I have seen a cover on Amazon that works on a Big Green Egg.

Last edited by LA Pork Butt; April 18, 2019, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        bbq_joe see above.

• bbq_joe
        bbq_joe commented
        Editing a comment
        I have seen that. 42$ and then $5 for shipping; I just think $47 is awfully high for that. Maybe I’m wrong?

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        bbq_joe I think it is high, too. You might want to invest in one of those umbrellas and set it up so you can take it down when you don’t need it. That way you and your grill stay dry.

I think I’m merely going to zip tie an umbrella to a lawn chair this weekend. The grill is new and I am dying to have a slab of ribs. I can’t let a little rain stop me.

Comment

Even a pie tin and some nuts & bolts to hold it off the top of the chimney seems like it would work.

Hmm.. Rain nor snow nor repeated trips to the hardware store because we forgot that one thing shall keep us from our appointed ribs.

Comment

Do you guys think this would work or cut off to much air flow? Click image for larger version

Name:	9F54893F-397E-4C0D-BCE8-0787427F42CF.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	666876

Comment

Other than the possibility of a strong wind blowing it off I think it would work great.

Comment

Well, afraid it would restrict to much air flow I ended up driving down the road to another hardware store. I found what I had seen on some other sites.... Click image for larger version

Name:	445634E7-9DB9-46FD-859F-5FBA0B9A0054.jpeg
Views:	154
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	666901
              So, $10 will take care of my issue I think......for now.

Comment

A little water can't get between an man and his ribs

Comment

Set a brick or rock on top of it so the wind won’t blow it off. If you want to be fancy you can put some gasket material where it contacts the kamado so you don’t scratch it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here