Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow 'N Sear Kamado Arrival & First Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow 'N Sear Kamado Arrival & First Cook

I've been using a SnS for some time and it's my favorite kettle accessory. I was the first customer and have Limited Edition #3 (#1 and #2 I believe were kept by Dave). Recently I was able to find the pre-order page for the SnS Kamado before a link was given out, and place the first order. Well it has arrived, so here's a few photos and my first cook on it.

Always exciting to see your delivery arrive. Shipping was included in the price and it arrived in 2 days - North Carolina to the Florida panhandle.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8677.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	655832

The box.

Name:	IMG_8678.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	655829

Contents - All included in the price. SnS 2.0, Easy spin grate, Elevated cooking grate, Drip 'N Griddle deluxe, SS upper charcoal grate, cast iron lower charcoal grate, ceramic deflector plate, SS cradle, ash tool, 2 HDPP shelves.

Name:	IMG_8692.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	655828

I assembled the cradle, added the wheels, and a neighbor helped me lift and place the body in the cradle, but then I had to move it about 50' down the side of my house, turn right, then another 50' or so, to my cooker area. I used 2 sets of 2 boards to slowly and carefully move it from my garage.

Name:	IMG_8700.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	655833

I added the side shelves, front handle and all the internal pieces.

Name:	IMG_8717.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	655830

Set up for my first cook. I lit 25 KBB in my mini chimney and filled the SnS with Weber briquettes. I'm shooting for 250 on the Elevated cooking grate.

Name:	IMG_8735.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	655831

05:00 It begins.

Name:	IMG_8743.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	655834

11:40 Bark is looking good.

Name:	IMG_8771.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	655835

15:20 Cook ends with charcoal left. The only charcoal maintenance I did was at 8 hours and 20 minutes when I knocked off the ash & restacked. Temps weren’t dropping. I just did it because I wanted to. Still had water in trough.

Name:	IMG_8795.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	655837

Pulled chuck (after a 2 hour faux cambro) before 1 chuck was delivered to a neighbor who won my smoking services at a neighborhood raffle and 1 to another neighbor who helped me sit the body in the cradle.

Name:	IMG_8803.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	655836

Congrats on the new cooker, and the first cook.

Comment

Whoosh... look at that. Very nice DaddyO. Wish I was your neighbor.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, you're a great neighbor!

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        And... I should say - that looks terrific. And... what a lucky guy you are to have that special cooker!

Killer smoke ring, for any cooker! Very nice, thank you for sharing the experience and congrats on the new cooker!

Comment

Magnifico! 👍👍👍. 🕶

Comment

Thanks for the write-up. That meat looks awfully tasty!

Comment

awesome looking cook! The kamodo is pretty good looking too!!!

Comment

Boom!

Comment

Nice! Almost pulled the trigger on that too as I don’t have a kamado, yet. Great accessories package.

Comment

Very nice. The chuckies look awesome. If this is how ABC’s Kamado works with other cooks this may very well be a big time contender in the Kamado game.

Comment

Great write up, an first cook tutorial / pictorial, Brother!
                    Looks like ya got a winner on yer hands!
                    Delicious lookin chuckies, no doubt!

Comment

I enjoyed the detailed and unbiased write-up. The results I am seeing are impressive for a first-cook on a new cooker.

Comment

Congrats on your new smoker .You first cooks looks .Good write up , thanks for sharing .

Comment

Very nice cook... and congrats on your new kamado! How would you compare it to the kettle/SnS setup that you were used to? Easier I assume? The flavor profile? Moisture? Etc.?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                            fuzzydaddy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thank you. It used less charcoal (after 10-1/2 hours I still had maybe 1/4 left). Temps didn't go up when the sun came out. Chucks were as good, if not a bit better than my Kettle/SnS cooks. I still had water left in the trough, so the water might have lasted 12-14 hours. It has etched markings on the vents which really comes in handy. It was a fun and successful cook and I'm looking forward to another soon!

• rwalters
                            rwalters commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Sounds like a winner to me!

Thanks for the writeup, very cool to see it in action, with detailed photos. And the meat looks awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here