Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Gasket Not Sticking to Primo XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Gasket Not Sticking to Primo XL

I bought the Primo brand gasket. The old one came off well with very little residue. I used a metal paint scraper and acetone to clean the surface as directed. But the gasket just doesn't stick. Could it be because the grill is very cold right now? Or do I need to get a paint scraper attachment for my drill and hit it with that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	LzS-L_6MjpbzUVWeJ2CJGGn0CsDkXq-9uaurktOwHdUJ2i1DF42tyF2ebCWI3Bj9axwO_2bN8M-GzzUFawLLHJYC6TMsgVMG6DkiS7gTwAwThIu2zO2xoOKdfkoPvHn6wDualoesMVLuzRzaCQr7olEyW32CMUP3tF3jD9Cfm4FlEH40s7rvHlvcW2rQMq_OYQxarlwooJp5bmUE7tkKoXxNYVq_Y8RvnVdVkuXDJqRZD38qrVoKWwHKAQ8yMIK
Views:	298
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	645071

If you have a disc grinder hold it flat against the disc and give it a quick run over. You can also use a flap pad,, but always hold it flat not on the edge of the disc. Too cold or grease is the likely culprit

Comment

How cold is very cold? I do know that roof shingles won’t seal if installed in cold weather until the weather gets warm. Cold weather could be the culprit.

Comment

Ground is frozen and there is a biting wind.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I would bet the problem is the cold.

Double post.

Comment

You need to cure the glue. Fire the grill up and bring the temp to 500 using the lid thermometer. Then let it purr for an hour. Close the vents. Let it cool naturally lid down.

That should do it.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Soooo no sodium nitrite to cure this??

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            Nope. Gotta fire cure the gasket glue

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. The directions say to prep, apply, and then cure at 350 for 30 minutes. But it's not sticking at all. So I have now re-cleaned it and when I get home I'll warm up the grill and try again with the ceramic at 70f. Hopefully it'll stick then and I can cure the adhesive then.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine simply isn't sticking like in the video. Must be the temp so I'll warm it and try again. Been getting reacquainted with my kettles and gas grill since my Primo has been gasketless for weeks now. I miss it.

Try sticking the gasket on as best you can, fire up a full box of lump,close the lid, then let it get to 500. The weight of the lid will apply pressure to the gasket. When it hits 500 set the vents to maintain that temp. See if that works.

Comment

If it is cold, it won't stick. I wait until Spring. . Mine is in rough shape right now. My BGE leaks a little bit.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I am really regretting doing this maintenance this time of year. Hopefully others will read this and head the warning. I had a gap at the seam and smoke was leaking but it wasn't a big deal really. I could have waited. I'm going to proceed with the plan to get the kamado up to about 70 then Hopefully I can get it to stick because they say you need to stretch the gaskets slightly. You can't get it to stretch if it won't stick. Then I'll set it with a high heat like SmokeyGator is saying.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker and Attjack sometimes adjusting the bands on the lid and the base will fix leaks. Also, while it won’t stop the leaks you can still cook without the gasket. Maybe applying the gasket after a cook at 350 or so would work.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I feel like I really need to do that as well. I can tell they are ready for adjustment. I have not done it yet since I've owned my Egg. I have been a little nervous, but now might be the right time. LA Pork Butt

Meanwhile I'm cooking dinner on my 18 to 26 Weber kettle conversion. I got a couple of center cut pork chops on. A couple of sweet of potatoes too. I'm running with this idea. I can use the vents on the 26 but use the small firebox on the 18. I might buy a second Jumbo Joe if this all works out so I don't compromise the external surfaces of my Super Joe with all its mods.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
              Oak Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              I had much the same problem with my KJ. I ended up rolling it just inside the back door before we went to bed. I installed the new gasket the next morning and left it in the house with the top closed until late that afternoon. Warm up was all it needed. The back room smelled pretty darn good for a couple of days and then that went away.

Sorry to hear about the gasket. Replaced mine on my Primo LG about a month ago when we had some warmer weather (50's) here in the Denver Area. I followed the protocol--remove the old gasket, scrape and clean with solvent and fire up for a while-- since then I've done a cook or two with no problems but the daily temps have been all over the place and I haven't fired up in at least a week. Right now it's zero but warmer by weeks end. I'm planning some beef short ribs end of the week and will let you know if I have trouble with the gasket. Good luck!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here