Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jj george owners. How do you maintain them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jj george owners. How do you maintain them?

Hey all. Being a jjGeorge table owner for my BGE and KJ jr. I am wondering how you guys clean them and keep them looking great. Obviously I have a cover for it to keep the elements off. But keeping it pristine is what I’m after.
    So your thoughts will be much appreciated.
    Thanks all.

Oh yeah. Pics always help. Click image for larger version

Name:	4BE758B6-6EB8-4768-8A6C-0921541F8D40.jpeg
Views:	158
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	591397

Comment

Now I’m not tryin to be a wise acre here. First, that looks unbelievably clean, kudos to you. Second, I’m tryin to figure this out, it’s wood, it’s outside (weather & stuff) & you have two cookers in it. What do you expect to happen. In my world patina would begin to develop. I would expect it & admire its development. That’s in my world. Great lookin set up. I would love to have it! 👍👍👍

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks FireMan I totally get what you’re saying. It’s just these tables are so freaking sweet I want to keep it that way for as long as I can. If it were untreated, yes, I would expect and welcome that process of nature. But it has a sealer on it. So not sure how that’s gonna play out.

What kind of finish does it have? You want something that's UV resistant like spar varnish. I've done a couple of pieces with several coats of polymerized tung oil (http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...at=1,190,42942), preceded by the matching sealer (http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...at=1,190,42942).

You may not need that part, from the looks of it.

The UV protection comes from the spar varnish. This is a great one that I've used several times, and it will last a long time before needing refreshing. https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=1439

I used it for a couple of table tops and a kitchen cabinet project. Bought it originally for a strip kayak project, but life intervened before completing that.

Yeah, this can get expensive, but hey - it's that good!
      Last edited by EdF; November 11, 2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks EdF I’m gonna check with jj george and find out exactly what finish they use.

The finish is spar urethane. Get a rattle can of it and spray it where you see nicks etc.

On mine, the panels separated a little bit. No big deal. My biggest concern was having somewhere to set down hot grates etc. I got a couple granite pavers at Home Depot for about $20, and set them on some furniture glides.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D6B56AFC-83C5-490E-8A54-F6B000DE58AC.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	591656

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mosca I figured you would chime in on this one. I appreciate your input Knowing you have one as well.

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        What about general cleaning?? What do you use?

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        For general cleaning, mild soap and a hose.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here