Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying a "used" BGE...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a "used" BGE...

a large egg has popped up for sale near me and it has my wheels turning, much to my dismay...it's listed as new in box, never used...which adds to it's appeal and the guy's asking price seems to me to be pretty fair.

my understanding of BGE warranties are that they only apply to original purchaser with receipt. That's probably my biggest hangup (if my understanding is correct). For those that have them, what items on a BGE are most likely to need warranty work and what are the costs to replace those items in the absence of coverage? To those that have bought used eggs (or ceramics) have you been happy with the performance enough to ease the concern of having no coverage?

My wife might slaughter me if I do this....then again she likes my food, so maybe I'll soften that blow with her favorites...I definitely don't need this cooker (and obviously that doesnt matter to any of us!), but it sure would be nice to have an insulated cooker to use during the colder months here....which of course means I do need it!
    Last edited by xaugievike; November 4, 2018, 10:34 AM.

I can't help you with the BGE question, but as far as the wife fallout use the technique that I use when purchasing a new firearm: promise to sell one that you already have. I never seem to find the time to sell one, which she knows won't happen, but at least she gets to practice her eye-rolls.

Comment

I past on a large BGE last week 450.00. demo with warranty price is every thing

Comment

The usual things to require replacement are the fire pot and the fire ring. But they redesigned them a few years ago to have stress-relief cuts in them (at least the pot). Thing is, you can continue to use them for years even if they get a crack or two. I usually get a replacement under warranty and store it until the piece it's replacing gets unusable. That usually means the pot has broken into a few pieces and is leaking more ash into the bottom of the unit than I like. I do not know how expensive they are.

I once had to replace the lid and ceramic cap because some roofers dropped their ladder on it. Probably $200+. I've gotten the body itself replaced under warranty because some paint started chipping off (it was over 10 years old at that point). The body is the one you want to avoid getting damaged.

Oops, and then there's the gasket. I'm not even sure that's covered - I did some very hot steak and pizza cooks, and probably fried three of them, with different kinds of approaches. I've been running without a gasket since 2012. As long as you do an annual hinge adjustment to make sure the lid is fitting well to the body, it easily holds the temps. So I consider the gasket optional.

IMPORTANT: get in the habit to always "burp" it before opening the lid. Nothing worse than singe eyebrows (well, actually it can be a lot worse).

All in all, from partially recovered parts over time, I was able to build up a second egg for about $150 and gift it to a friend. So, it's a pretty reliable piece of kit.

I haven't needed the warranty since we moved to NJ 4 years ago - there was some minor moving damage. It's 16 years old. Oh yeah, I now need to replace the handle, but I got one made by a Pit denizen rather than through BGE.
        Last edited by EdF; November 4, 2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I have had the fire ring and the bottom of the egg go out. These are warranty items which I had no trouble getting replaced. I’ve owned my egg since 2010. My current thought is that you can usually get a 4 hour used one at an Eggfest for inside of $800 which includes the heat deflector, the next and side tables. So, does the one you are looking at include those things? At the very least I would subtract the price of a base, which I think is the most expensive piece to replace, from $800 as a kind of self created warranty. Assuming that the above mentioned accessories are included a good price should be $800- the value of the egg base. If the above accessories are not included I would subtract their value, too.

I don’t what the guy is asking, but my guess is taking into consideration the things I mentioned above it is over priced. You might be better off catching a used one at an Eggfest.

Comment

• xaugievike
            xaugievike commented
            Editing a comment
            $600 is the asking price.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            xaugievike Does it come with the above mentioned accessories. If not it is too much because the nest, diffuser and wings tables will probably set you back $400 and you still have no warranty. $400 might be worth it.

• xaugievike
            xaugievike commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate that guidance. thanks.

I bought one about a year ago because it was a great deal. No warrantee but at $400 with a grilling center, I could not pass it up. I have not had any problems so far. If something breaks, I will still be ahead. So far, it is the best BBQ related purchase I have made.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here