Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS Alert! - XL Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS Alert! - XL Big Green Egg

I'm looking at a very good condition XL BGE with plate setter, eggmate side tables, nest and cover for $1,000. Buying used does not come with a warranty which concerns me. What do you think of the price/value on this?

That is a pretty good deal for an XL. I bought a LBGE with grilling center and all the guts for $500, last fall. It has been a great rig for me. The way I see it, if I need a new Fire bowl I can buy one and still be ahead. The risk of the BGE body breaking is far less in a grill center as there is no way for it to tip over.

Comment

Seems like a pretty good deal... I mean, it's less than the BGE XL would go for without the extra goodies.
      FWIW, I'm one of those people that likes warranties...so that would give me some concern as well. BUT if it's not already cracked it's probably ok as a lot of things aren't covered by the warranty anyway. And when you figure that it will probably last AT LEAST ten years as long as you tighten things up as needed...that's only a hundred bucks a year with no warranty required.

For the record, I do not have a BGE. Nor have I ever. The closest I've come to owning a kamado is my WSCGC. But I have a friend that wouldn't part with his.

Comment

I'm with those guys. You can run for years with a broken fire ring or bowl - I have. Replace them at your leisure - there's pretty much no functional impact. It's the body and the lid you want to be concerned about, but mostly the body - the lid really isn't that expensive given your initial investment here. I'd go for it.

Comment

An Xl is going for $1039 after four hours use and full warranty at an Eggfest in my area. No cover, but I think the warranty is worth more than the cover. I’ve owned a large since 2010 and they have replace the fire ring and the egg bottom at no charge. Until I had the bottom go out I didn’t think the warranty was that valuable..

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, the bottom is what I'd consider the main concern. I had mine replaced on a ~10 year old LBGE because the paint was chipping off. But that seems a pretty rare kind of thing.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is greatly appreciated. I'm concerned about the warranty and although it sounds like a "good" deal at $1,000, it's not a "great" deal. I've got my medium and will hold off the urge to go bigger on the egg for now.

Comment

I have an XL and love it, but I have had big problems with the bases cracking and have gone thru multiple bases since I bought it in 2012.

Based on that experience, I would be hesitant to buy an XL without a warranty. Check out egg fests in your area and ask around to see if there are any dealers looking to sell their demo eggs. I think you could find one for around that price with a warranty.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I defer to the guys who know better!

I just went through this! I'm with LA Pork Butt . The XL is going for just a shade over 1K at the Eggfest in Lake Charles and I assume prices are fairly consistent from one event to the next. I pulled the trigger this morning and ordered an XL demo model for around $1,193 with the nest, a bag of lump, and a convEGGtor (includes taxes). Personally I'd wait until an EggFest or Kamado Road Show (Costco) came to town so you get the warranty.

Comment

Great feedback! What do you think a "great" price would be?

Comment

You can kind of create your own warranty by finding the price to replace the bottom of the XL and subtracting it from the sale price. If you do purchase it carefully check it for cracks especially the firebox and the grill ring. Also, remove the firebox and look for cracks on the bottom. That’s where the crack started on my Large BGE. The seller needs to understand that an important part of the price he paid is the warranty and he is not selling you that.

Comment

• Beefchop
                  Beefchop commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smart.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here