Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and Fast on a Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and Fast on a Kamado

Seems a popular technique now on the Competition BBQ scene is hot and fast cooks. I just watched a video of Harry Soo doing a brisket at 400°. I’ve tried doing ribs and pork butt at 300° or more, but end up with burnt edges, since the heat is coming up the sides, around the heat deflector. Harry uses Webber Smokey Mountain exclusively, where the coals are much further from the meat than on my BGE. Anyone here have any luck with these higher temps on a Kamado?

No I bought my kj to do long slow overnight cooks. Tent the ends of your ribs with foil to keep from burning

Comment

• SierraBBQGuy
      SierraBBQGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, mostly, but the idea of getting a brisket on in the morning for dinner that day, sounds appealing.

I did one on my BGEat 300 that came out pretty good, but I separated the point from the flat and cooked on two levels. I injected and wrapped.

Comment

I did these ribs at 275 recently. But my kamado is oval shaped so I'm on the indirect side. They came out great. I plan to keep trying hot and fast. Probably going to try a pork shoulder next and I'll be pushing the heat upward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	j8_qOGFs5Mz4ddyC03LuusPXBFE-TluwDrtMLLVuOnUcjBjh3BiFCEaBbXu0E6Uws3LTfJ2ztma7TiGIPztABn1bKI-Y2y4jyBE7UEySILbepHCou0Hi9lV_kxuDnycSU813f-bE5iK3Auk-FbyjAshIwvD6QRD8ItWO0Fxg3OuLf_foN_8kjrlKPl-JM5NC-ZeEyfHJgYHej1sJWtHMsdU4q-_REP7vnhPXp7qCZIDw1GZIzr6KpO8mLCDHGxA
Views:	161
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	567942

Comment

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        I prefer 275° over any lower temps for ribs.

Looks great...Its the 400 degrees I'm most curious about! Maybe 375, 350??

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I also got the idea from Harry Soo. I'm taking baby steps I guess. I might just go for broke later this week though!

My understanding is that on a kamado you don't get much thin blue smoke above 350. Anybody have any experience with getting good smoke flavor doing hot and fast on a kamado?

Comment

• customtrim
        customtrim commented
        Editing a comment
        Use a smoke pot

Anything I can do in an oven, I can do in a BGE indirect. Flawlessly. High temp baking etc is just no problemo.

Comment

My problems with brisket on my kamado are well documented. With low and slow I don't get bark. I just finished Aaron Franklins book and smoked a brisket at 280-290. It' the best I done yet and quite good. I would be concerned about going to 400 for fear of bringing it to temp so fast that it would tighten up and loose moisture. I'm certainly no expert.

Comment

Harry Soo, (check out his videos on You Tube if interested) cooks the brisket at 400 on the WSM only to achieve the desired color (bark) then it's wrapped until tender, usually more than 200. I wonder if this method is popular on the competition circuit because it yields the best meat or it allows them to get more sleep....LOL

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here