Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp Control Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp Control Problems

I have a large Big Green Egg that was given to me as a Christmas present 2 years ago. It's been working as advertised until my last 2 cooks. My problem is that I can't keep the temp down where I want it. My last cook I had the bottom vent a touch less than a quarter of the way open, the top vent was daisy wheel full open but not swung open. The egg had stabilized at 230 for at least 20 minutes. I loaded the Egg with the ribs and when I checked back 30 min later still at 230. Then when I checked back an hour later the temp was up near 400 and I hadn't touched a thing. Took the ribs off. When I put the cap on top and closed the bottom vent I noticed smoke leaking out around the main gasket and around the bottom vent. Could this be my problem with temp control?

Maybe the gasket needs to be replaced. If smoke is escaping from the gasket then air can get in also get in from the gasket.

Comment

• Collinsworth77
      Collinsworth77 commented
      Editing a comment
      that was my thought as well. I will try closing the vents a few more times before I go thru the hassle of replacing the gaskets. Thanks!

I'd suggest close both the top & bottom vents more. If the top vent is open too far, even with the bottom closed air will still be drawn in. If your gaskets are leaking that can be also be a source of exhaust, thus pulling more air in through the intake. Not sure how much would come in through the lid gaskets or if it'd only get out (my guess), but any unwanted airflow is unwanted heat.

Comment

I agree with both replys above. I've got a Primo and to dial in for low and slow I barely have a sliver of an opening -up and down.

Comment

It’ll take it awhile to get up to temp as I’m sure you know. It’ll stay at a low temp for awhile while everything slowly heats up. I’ve found that once everything gets heated up, it goes up pretty quickly. For me its about a finger nail width on the bottom and 1/4 open on the daisy wheel holes on top to keep around 225ish

Comment

Thanks you guys! You have given me some much needed direction. Thanks!!!!!!

Comment

If you do decide to change the gasket get a high heat one so you can crank out pizzas over 800 degrees without melting the new one.

Comment

Here’s a website where you can get a replacement gasket.
              Our gasket kits install easily to create an airtight seal which results in better heat retention than your grill has from the factory. LavaLock, FireBlack, Total Control BBQ, Gasket, seal, adhesive, leak stop, food safe bbq gasket. smoker gasket kit, smoker door seal, nomex, aramid, strip gasket, PAN material, felt gasket, Big Green Egg gasket, kamado seal

Comment

I was thinking the gasket, too. But do the dollar bill test, running it between the top and bottom when the lid is closed. After a couple of years, it's pretty common for the hinge mechanism to move so that the lid is not lying flat. If that's the case loosen the bolts at the back that crimp the top and bottom. (It's likely that loosening the top will be enough, so try that first). Then make sure the lid is making full contact with the body and retighten. It's really a periodic maintenance thing. If that doesn't do it, new gasket time, though I haven't used a gasket in about 7 years.

And I'm with the bottom vent being very closed once you get to heat - like "coin" open.

Do go with the high-temp gasket if you replace it.

Comment

For me to hit 230 and keep it there I close the big cap on the Daisy wheel and open the small ports half way. I keep the bottom vent about 1/8 open.
                  This is after having both top and bottom wide open until the thermometer climbs just past 200. Make the adjustment quickly or the temp will shoot by 250 really quickly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here