Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen / stuck kamado lid help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen / stuck kamado lid help!

I am planning on cooking a bone-in turkey breast today on the KJBJ but I'm having a little problem. The problem I am having is the top of the KJBJ is frozen to the base. How do I get it unfrozen? I was thinking maybe I can use a propane torch to heat up around the gasket but I'm afraid it might damage the gasket. The KJBJ has been covered since late summer so I have no ideal why it will be frozen. Does anyone have a solution for this problem. Didn't really want to fire Lil' Monster up but I might have to.
    Last edited by DWCowles; December 26, 2017, 02:52 PM.

Grab your blow dryer.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would save this thread but re-title it - Frozen Kamado Lid.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 Done!

Take the chimney cap off and drop a few lit paraffin cubes in the top. If the cap is frozen, slide the bottom damper open and do the same. Lighting your torch and sticking it in the kamado works too, just make sure you are firing into the middle of the cook chamber. Avoid directly heating any of the ceramic pieces.

I have this problem all the time, in the winter, unless I do the following......

To avoid it in the future, use some wax paper under the lid before you close it, at the end of a cook. This will keep the moisture from freezing the lid down.

Comment

My fear came true Spinaker the gasket did get damage. Do you know if the new rubber gasket will replace the felt gasket or will it only fit the new Kamado Joes? ​
      Last edited by DWCowles; December 26, 2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        Depending on how badly it has torn or is damaged DWCowles there will be a direct correlation as to how poorly the kamado performs to how much of a perfectionist you are. I have at least a couple dozen cooks with a pathetic gasket and it has a had a minimal effect.

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry- I do not know about replacing with the new rubber one, but I do have the new rubber gasket on my KJ classic and it is sweet- The only damage its sustained was from a pilot error when I used the Joetisserie motor upside down and the skewer rubbed.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I said rubber gasket but actually it’s wire mesh. It held the temp perfectly with the turkey breast cook today but I was using a fan with the Fireboard also.

Now let’s see here DW, ya just gotta quit cussin out that there torch as profane as it may be. Now, the reason the lid froze, well,there is a pretty good chance that it got cold enough to do it I think. Then again, can’t be sure from afar. Hope the cook turns out.
      As far as Huskee ‘s advice of grabbing your blow dryer, well, in this day of correctness I might advise from grabbing anything, lest you get accused of some no good. Hope all this advice helps amigo.
      Last edited by FireMan; December 26, 2017, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here