Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Outside Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Outside Temperature

I am new to Kamado cooking. This will be my first winter! What is the lowest outside temperature you would recommend cooking at? I previously had a Bradley electric smoker. If it got too cold out, there would be a lot of moisture buildup inside the smoker which would cause the wood pucks to swell and get stuck. Just trying to avoid any problems with my Primo. Would also appreciate any other tips and trick!
    As always, thanks in advance to all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Primo.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	420981

Not exactly apples to apples, but I did a packer brisket last winter on a day/night that ranged between 0-15 degrees on my summit charcoal.

Other than a slightly longer warmup period there was no difference from a normal cook. My standard load of KBB didn't need to be replenished.

Id imagine a ceramic cooker might take a little longer to warm up than the summit just due to mass. But from there it's so well insulated it'll chug along happily.

Comment

No minimum! The only minimum temp is what's too low for the pitmaster to deal with!

Comment

I did a pork butt last year was around 11 when I started around 0 when it was done. I have a kj classic

Comment

My low was 17 on my Big Green Egg which held steady at 225 overnight. The only advice I would be to slowly heat up your primo with the grill and heat diffuser in early or bring the heat diffuser indoors before adding it to the hot Primo.

Comment

I've done cooks in the teens a few times - no issues.

Comment

In my BGE single digits with over 2’ of snow on the ground all winter long.
              Great looking Primo. 👍

Comment

Yeah, no limit. Especially with a well built beast like a Primo.

Tricks? Not many. You can start the burn early, kamados are so efficient that a 90 minute preheat is nothing, you’ll still have 4 hours left at the end of any imaginable cook short of something like a shoulder clod. An 18lb brisket is nothing to a kamado.

A smoke pot pot is a good idea for giving a nice thin smoke.
                Last edited by Mosca; December 9, 2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

That thing will cook in colder temperatures than you care to venture out in Omega-Man . My best suggestion is that time is on your side, so make sure it is plenty heat soaked before you cook and allow it to chug along nicely at your desired temperature for a decent bit of time (30-45 min) before you drop your meat. On occasion, the dome will want to stay shut due to cold. A burning oil-soaked paper towel or small piece of fire starting cube ignited and stuffed in the lower vent will most likely free the lid in very cold temps.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This happened to me this morning. I did just this and it worked like a charm.

I have my BGE running right now. I think the temp is about 20 F, right now. And I would say the cold has no effect once it is heat soaked. This thing is sitting so solid, it is just remarkable. The dips in the graph are when I added the plate setter and the meat. It recovers with no problem at all, even after being open to the cold air.
                  You will love your Primo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2017-12-09 21.08.37.png Views:	1 Size:	122.6 KB ID:	421454​

Comment

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee - I believe this topic is a keeper

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Moved! tbob4

• tbob4
                    tbob4 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Spinaker, he put on the task of saving some of these threads. What I am finding through the first seven pages is that lots could go but some of these seem not to be replicated a lot and have solid questions and information. Thanks for your advice to folks. It is really helpful!
                    Last edited by tbob4; October 20, 2019, 05:26 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here