Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado SS Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado SS Cap

I'm currently using the stock Cast Iron cap that came with my Primo and I have it dialed in pretty well. My only complaint is that I get nervous about water getting in when it rains. Now, I usually cover my area with an ez-up if it's calling for rain. But if it's a freak storm, I get worried.

Does anyone use the SS cap that are sold? Ever use them on a Primo? Do you prefer them?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Someone posted here a while back that they used an inexpensive rain cap:

Comment

I’ve heard of people making their own out of flashing (bendable metal they use on houses). I’ve been meaning to make one of these for my Kamado!

Comment

Sephon, I've never covered my Primo and I haven't gotten any water inside yet. It seals up pretty good.

Comment

• Sephon
          Sephon commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you use the optional cap to help snuff the fire?

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Sephon given that I don't know what the optional cap is, I probably don't. I think it's just the regular one.

I have one on my KJ Jr. and it works great. It blocks rain and snow. I am not sure how the Primo cap is configured, so I don't really know how much water gets in during in climate weather. On the Kamado Joe Classic Jr, the holes on the top damper does allow a little water in during a steady rain or snow. The SS cap solves all of this. It also doesn't move when you open up the lid, which is a big plus. It does get hot, but there is a tab to adjust the damper and that works well and saves your fingers. It also looks sharp on top of your Kamado. And with a black finished Primo, that stainless would really shine. I know it does on my Black KJ Jr.

(I actually just ordered another one for my new BGE.)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all.

I use the Primo cover that has a dedicated "bump" for the damper and it covers my table.

I'm wondering if it would still fit, with the bigger, handsomer (handsomer? is that a word?), cap on it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            prob'ly like "morther handsom(er)*", where I'm from...

* optional, varies...

• Sharklovers
            Sharklovers commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Smokeware cap for my Primo, and the fitted cover...the cover won't fit with the Smokeware cap on it...but it does a great job of keeping out rain!

• Sephon
            Sephon commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Sharklovers

Spinaker Your comment on it in that thread got me thinking about it again. Especially with the snow about to fly.

Comment

Comment

I think that if one is doing a low n slow and the top vent holes are even fully opened very little water is going to get inside.

I've used a roof vent cap in the past but only if I wasn't using the top vent at all.

Last summer, by chance, I happened to have a clean drip pan sitting on the grate in my KJ Jr. (which wasn't being used at the time) during a typical summer storm. According to my rain gauge we got about 2" of rain during the few hours of the storm.

The next day I was going to use my Jr. and when I opened the dome I saw that there was some water in the drip pan, a whopping...one tablespoon or so.

I do use a modified roof vent cap when it is going to rain and am using my Smobot. The Smobot damper has much bigger holes than the original cast iron vent and is a flat surface so rainwater won’t just run off the sides.

Here’s a pic of the cap:

Click image for larger version

Name:	KJ Jr with rain cap and Smobot.png
Views:	129
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	417153

Admittedly it’s a crappy pic but I took it at 0300 during a light rain to post on another forum so cut me some slack.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I used the same chimney cap on my Broil King Keg. It worked well.

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                How do like the Smobot Histrix ? I seen it in action on T-Roy’s video on YouTube and I’m still debating if I should get it.

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                DWCowles - the Smobot is pretty slick. Easy to mount. Vent can be operated manually if you don't want/need to run in auto. Weatherproof. Draws very little power. Works great.

I use a piece of aluminum foil. Make a hood out of it, wrap it under the cap. Works fine, costs next to nothing.

Comment

• Sephon
                Sephon commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a price I can get behind.

Having cooked on a kamado many times in the rain (and snow) when it is really a frog choker, I do get concerned, but realize how few opportunities there are for drops to make it into the dome and make any kind of a real impact. Especially in a setting where the holes are basically almost closed. Although I find a cover device unnecessary for the most part if you feel more confident cooking with some kind of a rain block go with it. Especially if it makes you enjoy the experience more.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                That more or less matches my experience. I find it a rare cook where the vents or the cap are really open.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                And, I love the look of that stainless cap. It also stays put, when you open the lid.

I've got the SS Smokeware cap and use it full time rain or shine. During the winter my egg gets a lot more cooks because of the insulation and cap.

Comment

Those of you with the Smokeware cap, do you guys clean it after some use? Mine is getting gummed up after only a few cooks.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No! That gum is the good stuff. Helps to keep it sealed.

• Rjbachtold
                  Rjbachtold commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good thinking!

• SierraBBQGuy
                  SierraBBQGuy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not every use, but yes, mine gets some black dripping on the outside and gummed up a bit on the inside. I do think its easier to keep clean than the iron daisy wheel.

I haven't cleaned mine yet after many, many uses.

Comment

Upside down Weber charcoal chimney and a plate?

Jim

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here