Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Kamado Is A Chimney!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very good point!

Comment

CeramicChef Your doing a great job. I think we can all agree we are just a bit......obsessed with details around here. Lets keep the smoke rolling man! To be successful at anything takes attention to detail. Thats the difference between Champions and 2nd place. DETAILS!! (Sorry to go all Vince Lombardi on y'all)
      Last edited by Spinaker; May 16, 2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker - you quite kind. Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. As for details, you and Coach Lombardi are quite right. We used to have a saying: rookies practice til they get it right; all stars practice until they can't get it wrong. I'm still practicing!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly! CeramicChef

CeramicChef Great beginning. As the proverb goes the longest journey begins with a single step. I think with your experience and that of other Kamado cooks the journey will be indeed long and varied.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        LA Pork Butt -thanks for the compliment. I do have a lot experienced for two very good reasons. First, my kamado mentor gave me a crash course years ago. Second … failure. I'm not afraid to learn from failure and I'm really good at failing! I look forward to learning from everyone's journey.

CeramicChef ... I had no ceramic mentor and have no friends that own a ceramic cooker.😡 I read you loud and clear on failure.👍 It took me awhile to figure out bread baking on my large BGE. If you go by the instructions and videos on the BGE website... You've got no chance of success. They're meat people and their baking info is not even close to correct.😡 I've actually told them that in a very detailed e-mail showing them a much better method and got NO reply.👎
      Last edited by Breadhead; May 17, 2016, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead - when you think you know everything like BGE, why take any unsolicited advice? After all, what the hell can you know? You're only the customer. If they want your advice, they'll ring your agent's doorbell.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes... BGE has become stagnant! It seems once they became #1 they quit improvising and changing the product. That's a death warrant in the business world I participated in.😡
        Last edited by Breadhead; May 17, 2016, 10:34 PM.

CeramicChef ...

I was really quite perplexed that my e-mail regarding how they might improve the instruction & videos for baking bread and pizza in their ceramic oven got no, zero, zilch reply. I assume that no one in top management knows ANYTHING about baking and had NO CLUE what I was saying.

If you go to their website and click on their baking category... It's really weak. They've obviously not hired a real baker that has lots of ceramic cooking experience. That's when I realized they're a bunch of backyard Pit Masters that just concentrate on meat.

The sad part is Ceramic cookers are the 2nd best bread & pizza cookers on the market, a brick oven being #1. They really are letting a very big category slip away from them... And, they don't even know it! There are probably more bread baking forums and bakers online than BBQ forums. Go figure...😡
      Last edited by Breadhead; May 17, 2016, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead - sometimes ya just can't fix stupid.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        True dat!

In my earlier answer to your excellent post, I forgot to thank you for starting this whole kamado thing up. Please forgive my error. You are as big a fanatic as I am, which is saying a hell of a lot! Your passion shows through, which I admire. Kudos!

On another note, there is a great deal more to be said regarding the many aspects of kamado cooking. I really look forward to this aspect.a lot, in fact. I'm not a kamado expert, but I can cook, so I can tell what is working, what isn't, and when to proceed with what. 40 years on the line helps...lol

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Strat50 - your thanks came through in your post. You're quite welcome. All I'm trying to do is stimulate some conversation about the kamado experience, exchange ideas, and maybe help folks discover new ways to do the same things and have more fun.

CeramicChef , I'm definitely going to be following you on this and looking forward to the next topic. I'm beginning to realize that cooking on the SCG seems more similar to cooking on a kamado than a traditional kettle or other charcoal grill/smoker.

Could the next topic please be "Light My Fire!"? I'm kinda struggling with this lumpy charcoal...

Thanks again,
      Bill.

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        billg71- welcome aboard. As of now, I'm in the process of putting together a post on vents and then we're on to laying in a lump pile, lighting techniques, and then controlling the fire and hitting temps. We'll get there in very short order, I promise.

billg71 ...

There's a 100 ways to light up lump coal. Personally I like to keep it simple plus... I'm a cheap SOB.😆

I use an electric starter. Just plug it in and let it do its thing. I bought it 3 years ago for about $15. It works like a champ.

If I'm going to cook low and slow I want a small fire. If I'm going to cook hot and fast I start a small fire and blast it with the BBQ Dragon.
      Attached Files

Comment

After watching Dr Blonders discussion on smoke, it seems the best approach for smoke, is one small fire, not the technique from BGE where they light many coals in multiple places?

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest ...

I find BGE's instructions and videos about how to use their product to be a major disappointment. You will learn much better methods and techniques from CeramicChef and the other members impromptu seminar on using a ceramic cooker here on AR. Stay tuned for lots of helpful topics.
          Last edited by Breadhead; May 19, 2016, 10:22 AM.

CeramicChef , when you do put this together, can you include any information you might have about using briquettes?I have to go back and reread the section, but in Meathead's book he mentions that he prefers them in a Kamado. The main reason cited most places for using lump is that there is less ash, but if I recall correctly, he likes the consistency of the briquettes better.

am thoroughly enjoying the start of the venture. Thanks for the effort!

Comment

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Yno - when we get the the fuel section I'll be more than pleased to address briquettes vs. lump vs. wood as duels in a kamado. Thanks for the input.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to contribute to that as well. I went from lump to briquettes, then back to using lump in my Kamado. I might be able to offer some insight into why I was flip flopping and couldn't make up my mind. CeramicChef Yno

• CeramicChef
          CeramicChef commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker - sounds good to me. Thanks for offering.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here