Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Best Two-Zone Kamado System?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an SNS kamado and I won’t claim it’s better than a primo or joe because I haven’t cooked on those. I will say I’ve never wanted for anything using it. Love it.

Comment

I must say as someone who spent a lot of time last week looking up different kamados and watching YouTube videos I am enjoying this thread. I saw the 18 in. KJ at Costco last week and that got my MCS into overdrive. I thought it was too small for my liking, as I find my 18 WSM a little on the small side. So…..carry on. Great discussion.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Akorn has a ceramic kamado and Grilla Kong is also bigger than 18”.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I've always felt about the "large" BGE and other kamados I had seen that were only 18". I've never wished my 22" SNS Kamado were smaller.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I have always been a bit surprised that the Akorn offers more space than much more expensive kamados. I think everyone should be at 20” or above.

Originally posted by radiodome21 View Post
      I must say as someone who spent a lot of time last week looking up different kamados and watching YouTube videos I am enjoying this thread. I saw the 18 in. KJ at Costco last week and that got my MCS into overdrive. I thought it was too small for my liking, as I find my 18 WSM a little on the small side. So…..carry on. Great discussion.
      That LBGE vs XLBGE was a tough decision. I actually put off the purchase for about 6 months while I was trying to decide. Eventually, I figured that with just me and Mrs Mosca, XL was going to be too much. And, there have been times that I have wanted to do more than a couple racks of ribs, and the extra space would have been pretty nice to have. On the other hand, having all of that real estate of the XL every single time I fired up the charcoal would have been too much. I think either way I would have been a little bit unsatisfied.

I solved the problem in typical Amazing Ribs fashion: I got a Weber Performer for those times that I needed to do more than a couple racks of ribs! Best of both worlds.

Comment

I will throw out the Grilla Kong for consideration by anyone looking at a kamado. At its current sale price of $729 it's a really good deal. I think it includes 2 levels of 20.5" cooking grates at that price, but that the heat deflector is not included. They do offer a split diffuser as well as a one piece diffuser.
        Last edited by jfmorris; June 1, 2022, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll add that I am not saying I would take it over my SNS Deluxe Kamado - but then, folk have budgets, and the Grilla is under half the price of the SNSK.

I'll jump in for the WSCG. Two zone is simple with the Low Profile S&S. You raise the fire grate to the upper position and the S&S fits perfectly creating two zones with plenty of real estate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649 (1).jpg
Views:	169
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1230044

Name:	IMG_2652 (1).jpg
Views:	176
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1230043

Name:	IMG_2655 (1).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1230045
        Last edited by Old Glory; June 1, 2022, 01:22 PM.

Comment

In the round category I'll add the Broil King Keg which is in my backyard.
          I utilize the heat diffuser/water pans for some cooks also has a main lower grate and a removeable upper grate.
          Use the upper grate on the majority of my cooks.
          50/50 ratio for utilizing the diffuser.
          I've never tried to get it to work as a two zone smoker, that being said I may have achieved that quite by mistake.

Comment

The closest thing to a kamado that I have is the WSCGC. 90% of the time, when it’s used in grill mode, I do two-zone…and it’s dead simple & quite effective. Add a rack and it’s multiple zones…

Comment

Priom XL is the way to go for me - know some others now come close - but the fact that it is well Made in the USA makes it a no-brainer. We need to keep manufacturing jobs here at home

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                That is exactly what I would get if going the Kamado route.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here