Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
See more
See less

Kamado Joe Classic 1 - On Sale... help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JGrana
    Club Member
    • Aug 2016

Kamado Joe Classic 1 - On Sale... help!!!!!

I have been eyeing ceramic grills for a while. I have a propane gasser grill for general purpose stuff. It's getting old.

I also am the proud owner of a KBQ for my serious smoking ;-)

Along comes a BJ's catalog and they have a Kamado Joe Classic 1 on close out sale for $499.

Seems like a good deal. It is version 1. My plan would be to get rid of the gasser and use the Kamado for burgers, hot dogs, etc. And, I have a Fireboard so I could add the blower and do some long smokes, without the attention the KBQ requires.

Is my logic sound? How do you Kamado owners like it for grilling burger, hots and chicken? How does it do as a smoker?

Thanks!
  • Uncle Bob
    Club Member
    • Feb 2019
    • Salado, Tx
    • Summerset TRL44 gas grill and side sear
      RecTec 590 Stampede
      Weber Performer
      Cajun Grill Preaux
      EcoQue Gen 3 wood fired oven
      Camp Chef Somerset IV 4 burner propane stove
      Camp Chef FTG600
      OT QOMOTOP 23-inch Gas Griddle
      Oklahoma Joe's Bronco
      Oklahoma Joe's Bronco Pro
      Oklahoma Joe's Judge
      Golden's Cast Iron Grill
      Ooni Koda 16

My first serious cooker beyond a gas grill was the original KJ, I bought in when the company was just over a year old. There was a moderately steep learning curve on controlling temp which was also related to fire building/management. The plus from that is it taught some good basics that now serve me with other cookers which may be different in configuration/operation, but still have a fire source that responds to certain basics. I did add a DigiQ which helped on longer cooks for stable control, and when the "Divide and Conquer" system was developed I upgraded to that so all I will say is it's a good cooker and will do a wide variety of things if that's what a person wants to learn how to work with. That being said, after about 9 years of use I've moved on to other styles of cooker, not because the KJ was lacking (though in some areas it could be construed as such) but because I'm restless and enjoy experimentation with other styles of cooker. If someone wanted to limit themselves to just one cooker, a quality kamado can check a lot of boxes. BTW, that's a heck of a price for that, I sold my used one for more than that in a matter of a few days.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      Charter Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Grew up in New Orleans, lived in Texas for 20 years, lived in Mandeville, LA for 22 years. I now liv

I love my BGE, but fast grilling is where it shines least in my opinion. I don’t know if space or money are an issue, but I would hang on to my gasser if I were you. However, if you want to get into a ceramic $499 is probably the best you will ever be able to do for a new one. At that price it is enough to stir MCS in me even though I don’t need another one for the cooks I do.

Comment

• tiewunon
        Club Member
        • May 2020
        • Virginia Beach, Va

- That is a great price and I would jump on it.
        - Not to be a negative weenie years ago BJ’s sold BGE’s and people bought them. However BGE did not honor the warranty you typically get with the BGE. BGE HQ hung there hat on “BJ’s” was not an authorized dealer. This is not a knock on BJ’s I shop there also.
        - I know its hard to get a hold of customer service anywhere but a call to Kamado Joe might be in order.
        - Bottom line I would buy it, keep my receipt in a safe place and beg forgiveness if warranty issue arises.
        - Bj’s has sold Masterbuilt electric smokers for a while and MB is now kamado joes parent company so most likely not a problem.
        Last edited by tiewunon; June 23, 2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
          Charter Member
          • Oct 2014
          • Third Coast

If you're looking for someone to talk you OUT of buying a new cooker, you came to the wrong place.

I think a kamado Joe classic is a great idea!

Comment

• Loren
            Club Member
            • Apr 2019
            • Texas!

It would be utterly foolhardy to not purchase it at that price 🧐🤠😎
            Last edited by Loren; June 23, 2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
              Founding Member
              • Jul 2014
              • Neptune Beach, FL
              • Weber Performer 22
                SNS
                Joule
                Thermoworks Smoke
                Thermoworks Thermapen
                Kingsford Blue Bag

Do it! Do it! Damn the torpedoes and Katie, bar the door!

Comment

• FireMan
                Charter Member
                • Jul 2015
                • Bottom of Winnebago

Hey, ya ever heard of MCS? Get it! Keep em! Git more! Smoke on!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
                  Club Member
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Central Texas

If the warranty is good, just do it. There is a learning curve, cooking on a Kamado is different than other grills. I love mine. There are some very good old post on fire building and several other topics related to kamado cooking.

Comment

• JGrana
                    Club Member
                    • Aug 2016

Thanks folks, great advice! I'm taking the dive ;-)

Comment

• BFlynn
                      Charter Member
                      • Oct 2014
                      • Third Coast

Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

• BrooklynRoofGriller
                        Club Member
                        • Jul 2020

I just bought a KJ Classic 1 at Lowe's for $749 and thought that was a good deal...

Comment

• smokin fool
                          Club Member
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Mississauga, Ont

Resistance is futile!!!!

Comment

• ofelles
                            Club Member
                            • Jun 2018
                            • Brentwood CA
                            • Yoder YS640 on Comp cart
                              Klose 20x42 Charcoal Grill
                              LSG Insulated Cabinet
                              Jumbo Joe
                              VacMaster Pro 380 sealer
                              FireBoard and Pit Bull fan
                              Thermoworks Signal
                              Thermoworks Dot
                              Thermopen Mk4

Sounds like a great price. And like said above, this is not the place to look for a reason not to buy.
                            I had a Pit Boss Kamado a few years ago and gave up on it because I did not understand fire management then. I don't think you will have that problem.

Comment

• Abom
                              Club Member
                              • Sep 2016
                              • Verona, PA
                              • (RJ) Kamado K7

Weber 22" kettle

Thermapen

DigiQ Dx2

GeneCafe Coffee Roaster

I got mine on sale at Lowes for 699 and love it! I've got ribs in it right now...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2021

SOLD OUT! Secure your spot on our waitlist now. First-come, first-served!
                              Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis)
                              See more
                              See less
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Meat-Up in Memphis

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These Are Some Of Our Favorite Tools And Toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use our links when you buy things

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear
                              The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill
                              The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                              The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker
                              The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Undisputed Champion!

thermapen
                              The Thermoworks Thermapen MK4 is considered by the pros, and our team, to be the single best instant read thermometer. The MK4 includes features that are common on high-end instruments: automatic backlight and rotating display. Don't accept cheap substitutes.

Click here to read our comprehensive Platinum Medal review

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

Grilla pellet smoker
                              We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5" x 29.5" footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.

Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Delta by Nuke,
                              Stylish and Affordable
                              Gaucho Grill

Weber Genesis Grill
                              Delta by Nuke burns wood or charcoal and comes with an adjustable height grill grate. This Argentinian grill will get your flame on!

Genesis II E-335
                              A Versatile Gasser That Does It All!

Weber Genesis Grill
                              Webers Genesis line has long been one of the most popular choices for gas grillers. The new Genesis II E-335 offers solid performance, a sear burner for sizzling heat and an excellent warranty.

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates
                              GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily rmoved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

PK 360 grill
                              The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is beautifully designed, completely portable, and much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order directly and get an exclusive AmazingRibs.com deal

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

kareubequ bbq smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker
                              This is the first propane smoker with a thermostat, making this baby foolproof. Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175? to 350?F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Click here to read our detailed review

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer
                              A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Track Up To Six Temperatures At Once

Grilla pellet smoker
                              FireBoard Drive 2 is an updated version of a well-received product that sets the standard for performance and functionality in the wireless food thermometer/thermostatic controller class.

Click here for our review of this unique device

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill
                              Napoleon's NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill
                              Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order