Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe Classic 1 - On Sale... help!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe Classic 1 - On Sale... help!!!!!

I have been eyeing ceramic grills for a while. I have a propane gasser grill for general purpose stuff. It's getting old.

I also am the proud owner of a KBQ for my serious smoking ;-)

Along comes a BJ's catalog and they have a Kamado Joe Classic 1 on close out sale for $499.

Seems like a good deal. It is version 1. My plan would be to get rid of the gasser and use the Kamado for burgers, hot dogs, etc. And, I have a Fireboard so I could add the blower and do some long smokes, without the attention the KBQ requires.

Is my logic sound? How do you Kamado owners like it for grilling burger, hots and chicken? How does it do as a smoker?

Thanks!

My first serious cooker beyond a gas grill was the original KJ, I bought in when the company was just over a year old. There was a moderately steep learning curve on controlling temp which was also related to fire building/management. The plus from that is it taught some good basics that now serve me with other cookers which may be different in configuration/operation, but still have a fire source that responds to certain basics. I did add a DigiQ which helped on longer cooks for stable control, and when the "Divide and Conquer" system was developed I upgraded to that so all I will say is it's a good cooker and will do a wide variety of things if that's what a person wants to learn how to work with. That being said, after about 9 years of use I've moved on to other styles of cooker, not because the KJ was lacking (though in some areas it could be construed as such) but because I'm restless and enjoy experimentation with other styles of cooker. If someone wanted to limit themselves to just one cooker, a quality kamado can check a lot of boxes. BTW, that's a heck of a price for that, I sold my used one for more than that in a matter of a few days.

Comment

I love my BGE, but fast grilling is where it shines least in my opinion. I don’t know if space or money are an issue, but I would hang on to my gasser if I were you. However, if you want to get into a ceramic $499 is probably the best you will ever be able to do for a new one. At that price it is enough to stir MCS in me even though I don’t need another one for the cooks I do.

Comment

- That is a great price and I would jump on it.
        - Not to be a negative weenie years ago BJ’s sold BGE’s and people bought them. However BGE did not honor the warranty you typically get with the BGE. BGE HQ hung there hat on "BJ’s" was not an authorized dealer. This is not a knock on BJ’s I shop there also.
        - I know its hard to get a hold of customer service anywhere but a call to Kamado Joe might be in order.
        - Bottom line I would buy it, keep my receipt in a safe place and beg forgiveness if warranty issue arises.
        - Bj’s has sold Masterbuilt electric smokers for a while and MB is now kamado joes parent company so most likely not a problem.
        Last edited by tiewunon; June 23, 2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

If you're looking for someone to talk you OUT of buying a new cooker, you came to the wrong place.

I think a kamado Joe classic is a great idea!

Comment

It would be utterly foolhardy to not purchase it at that price 🧐🤠😎
            Last edited by Loren; June 23, 2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Do it! Do it! Damn the torpedoes and Katie, bar the door!

Comment

Hey, ya ever heard of MCS? Get it! Keep em! Git more! Smoke on!

Comment

If the warranty is good, just do it. There is a learning curve, cooking on a Kamado is different than other grills. I love mine. There are some very good old post on fire building and several other topics related to kamado cooking.

Comment

Thanks folks, great advice! I'm taking the dive ;-)

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

I just bought a KJ Classic 1 at Lowe's for $749 and thought that was a good deal...

Comment

Resistance is futile!!!!

Comment

Sounds like a great price. And like said above, this is not the place to look for a reason not to buy.
                            I had a Pit Boss Kamado a few years ago and gave up on it because I did not understand fire management then. I don't think you will have that problem.

Comment

I got mine on sale at Lowes for 699 and love it! I've got ribs in it right now...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here