Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Joe Purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamado Joe Purchase?

This is currently available in the next town over. I currently have a MHP WNK4 and am new to charcoal. A good friend has one, does a lot of smoking in it and loves it. I am just not ready to spend the $800+ on one. Thoughts?
    Attached Files

I don't have a kamado, so take my comments with a grain of salt. This looks like a great deal if there are no cracks in any of the ceramics. And at that price, you should be able to get your money back if you decide you don't like it.

If you want to try charcoal you can get a Weber 22" kettle and a Slow N Sear for ~ $250 new. Or you can pick up a used kettle anywhere from $20 and up, but I would still suggest getting the SnS.

Comment

Thank you Ron! I have also been looking at the Weber with the SNS. We were with the friend who has the Kamado yesterday and he was raving about it and then I saw this for sale... as you mention it seems like a good deal. Thank you for your input!

Comment

I don't have a ceramic cooker, either, but at that price, I'd be sorely tempted!
        I'd say Go For It, my danged self!

Comment

• ebysea
          ebysea commented
          Editing a comment
          Seriously thinking of it!!

It’s very tempting!

Comment

Wow seems like a great buy!! I have kettles and LOVE my 26". Go for the 26 with SnS at the least. You'll love the capacity.

Comment

I agree - looks like a great deal, especially with the extras. Make sure top and bottom have no cracks. If the internal parts do (firebox, fire ring) you can replace them, but there's no urgency. You can use them for a few years in that condition. Be prepared for the weight when you move it.

Once you get it home and set up, we'll have more advice for the next steps!
          Last edited by EdF; May 27, 2018, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• ebysea
            ebysea commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you EdF! I asked about the ceramic and she said it is perfect has been in storage for over a year and only used a dozen times. I am seriously thinking of going for it.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Now don't be overthinking things! I got a large BGE in 2002, and I didn't get another outdoor cooker until 2014 (and that was for specific reasons related to a kitchen renovation).

Judging from you atire, this would be a great addition to cook through the winter and the price seems like a bargain. Not to mention they no longer make black ones.

Comment

Thank you @laporkbutt! We live in New England, so yes I like the idea of firing her up during the winter months. Thank you for your input!

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I've done many a Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey in the kamado. Completely do-able in winter in NE. We were up in Ipswich.

And finally, they are very corrosion resistant. Which matters for both locations.

I love Weber Kettles and Smokers but if I lived in MA I would probably go for a ceramic cooker.
            Last edited by OSB; May 27, 2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• ebysea
              ebysea commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you OSB!

Thank you everyone for your input!! Very helpful! I will be looking at it tomorrow afternoon and if it is as nice as it looks will be making the deal. I just can’t pass on it! Any helpful hints on moving this heavy sucker?

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Strong young men. Remove inside parts, cap and tables/stand. Duct tape the top and bottom together. Straps if possible. Wrap in a moving blanket. Roll it side to side to get it to where you want it (or your helpers can try to move it by lifting. These things don't fit a hand truck / two-wheeler very well.

• customtrim
              customtrim commented
              Editing a comment
              I have strapped mine to a two wheel dolly to move

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, the strapping can work. My wife who understands leverage from her construction days educamated me!

EdF Thank you so much! Any suggestions for my first meal? I am very excited! 😃

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Depends on how early you get it set up. I like pork ribs for first cooks (baby backs around 5 hours; spares around 6 at ~225-250). It may take you a bit of practice to get the temp control down pat. Roast chicken is almost always a winner. Try around 350 for 1-2 hours, depending on weight, etc. Course, you could always just do burgers, sausages, steaks, etc! All pretty low-tech and low-risk.

Either a pork butt or a chuck roast. Both are forgiving cooks and, more importantly, they taste great. The recipes for both are on the free side.

Comment

I’d buy it but I’m in Texas. I also already have one

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Every time I see your avatar I feel like running a couple of towns over to the fish store that specializes in whole fresh fish!

Wow. Just saw thread. That is a fantastic deal. And it’s black. They don’t make those anymore. Definitely jump on that one. I recently got a KJ jr for $300. Which was a good deal. But $495 for that. Awesome.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here