Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGE Owners Beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGE Owners Beware

PSA here. I use my large BGE a ton, probably average 4-5 nights a week since new in 2007. Over my last cook, the ring on the top lid (though still tight, as I maintain every year) let the tops ceramic go straight over the back.

The good news?? BGE replaced the lid top under warranty, just as they have replaced 2 fire rings and one fire box. Great job BGE!

The bad news? I replaced the top, and it almost happened again!! This time the top ring folded right at the bolt when I went to put the lid down. I was able to catch the lid. When I put the new lid in, I tightened the bolt damn near as hard as I could, so I am baffled.

BGE won't replace the ring/hinge system, though it appears to be at fault FYI. My thought is to tack weld the hing to the bolt, and make that junction a fixed piece of metal. This way it will be unable to flex like a hinge at all. I really don't want to spend $180 on a new ring/hinge system, plus I like my old school small handle and original wood!!!!

Check the pics..... if you have the stomach. Be warned, they are terrifying. Click image for larger version

Name:	image000001 (10).jpg
Views:	524
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	512437Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_191006.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	512438Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG952018042695183339093.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	512439

Glad I don’t owned a BGE.

Comment

Im a BGE owner. Thanks for the heads up. Im def gonna take closer look it later today.

4/5 x a week? WOW!

Comment

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, we don't even have an oven in our kitchen anymore, just a stove top. I cook quite a lot!

• smoken
        smoken commented
        Editing a comment
        On a side note, since you use your egg so much, what is the best way you found to light it.

Ouch! Man that sucks. It's good that they replaced the lid. What I've seen on my Kamado Joe is they use felt gasket material (I'm assuming it's the same as the lid gasket) under the metal band. I think that is for a better grip. It may be worth considering but if the band is buckling that may not help.

Comment

Yikes. I can only offer to try some of the egghead forums for some info. Maybe pick up and cannibalize some eggs parts from Craig's List or from someone on the forums before you weld and such.

Comment

• PaynTrain
          PaynTrain commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the weld will work well, as there will be nothing to flex. Plus egg stuff is hard as hell to find! Keep me in mind if you see some though buddy.

ouch!

Comment

I saw a video once where someone put a heavy coil spring (apparently taken from a manual clutch) over the tensioning bolts between the nut and washer ... presumably to maintain constant tension if corrosion caused any loosening of the ring. Don't know if this would apply to your current problem .. but it might be worth looking into as part of your solution.

Comment

• PaynTrain
            PaynTrain commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I like all ideas. For the last few years, I have not been able to get the top and bottom perfectly aligned, though I tried many times. I might look into something like this based off my struggles. It is a pain in the ass to mess with!! Hard to tell which bolts in the hinge should be super tight, and which ones should allow for the hinge movement, all while under extreme tension!

• MBMorgan
            MBMorgan commented
            Editing a comment
            This isn't the same as I once saw (this one is borderline useless) ... but it illustrates spring installations.

There’s the problem with ceramic eggs, reason I’d never buy one. I like that stick burner in the background of your photo much better

Comment

• PaynTrain
            PaynTrain commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha! I love the Yoder too. The egg just brings a different level of moisture and cooking ease than the stick burner. I use the egg day in and out, then use the Yoder for my serious cooks (8 pork bellies for bacon, 10 slabs ribs, 8 pork shoulders, etc.)

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            PaynTrain brings it home!

I couldn't pull the top of my BGE out of the band no matter how much I try. That sucker is cinched on there so hard I was afraid I was going to cause it to crack by being too tight.

As far as alignment, mine isn't perfect, but the food comes out great so I don't care.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I've been running gasket-less since around 2010. No problem.

Mosca just be careful. This was the case for me too, I thought it was fused. Then lift it up one time, and the lid kept on going! Try to imagine the upward force right on that hing bolt when the weight of the top stops when the handle stops. It just caused that thing to buckle up like a pup tent!

Also, I had my seal until the first winter of 2007, when it froze together. It ripped off when I cooked some ribs in January. Went gasket-less from 2007 to 2018!

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Huh. I guess I'll check it again. I checked it in April, but I'll check it again.

I replaced my gasket with a Nomex about 5 years ago, it is still doing great. It was ridiculously easy, took about 20 minutes, cost maybe $15? I don't remember.

Comment

YIKES! Don’t have the egg, but my Primo lid isn’t much different.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta check those bolts every year! Especially as the kamado gets older.

That is the strange thing to keep in mind though, and very scary. My ring was tight as F at the bolt. I am confident the issue is more something in the back hinge area that shifted or something, allowing the ring to pop. Remember I lost my brand newly installed lid (caught it tho) on it's first cook as well, just after fully inspecting and tightening. I am paranoid AF to use my egg now, thus my welding the bolt and ring together.

A tight ring bolt does not guarantee a stable grip is my point. Proceed with caution, and let me know if you solve the problem!!!

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair warning. Thanks!

Friend of mine had the same thing happen. It’s a common story, but in all versions it was a free top replacement and good service.

Comment

That's over 2,700 cooks (at 4 per week). Impressive.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here