Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire went out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire went out

Put a pork butt on to smoke last night around 830.

Put Weber igrill in the meat and propped up in the chamber for grill temp.

checked everything around 230 this morning. Igrill was reading the grill temp at 240 and the meat temp was 145 or so.

at 6 am the grill had dropped to 180, but the meat was still at ~160. I’m assuming it’s safe since the meat never got back below 140?

Yeah, not to worry. Git it back up to temp & keep cookin, no big deal, not even close.

Comment

I think I had the fire go out once in my BGE when the fire burned to one side. Stacking the charcoal with a layer of large filled in with a layer of medium and then filled with small up to the fire ring seems to solve the fire going out problem if I start the fire in the middle and heat soak the Egg for an hour before starting the cook. I think the meat should be okay.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

It could have dropped to 100-F and still been fine. You pasteurized the surface plenty. Egg or chicken salad sitting on the porch at 115-F is a different story.

Comment

Thanks. I’ve never had an issue in my egg, but last night I was lazy and instead of building a proper fire, I just dumped the remains of a mostly empty bag of charcoal in the firebox and lit it. Lesson learned.

Comment

• RlsRls
          RlsRls commented
          Editing a comment
          So what i guess you're all saying is a "fuse" or "snake" method is essential for guaranteeing a long ccok?

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          RlsRls no - in a kamado you don't really need a fuse or snake in a kamado to have a long cook. I fill the firebox with lump and a few wood chunks, light a starter cube in the middle, and it burns for 18-20 hours, maybe longer, on that load of charcoal. Kamado cookers you use more of a minion method, and the extreme efficiency of the cooker - insulated heat retaining construction, air tightness, and barely cracked vents lead to a long cooking time.

• RamaJama
          RamaJama commented
          Editing a comment
          I generally follow the exact method la pork butt mentioned above for a long cook. Also usually use an ash vac to be sure it’s good and clean first.

To you light up my grill
        To give me hope to BBQ on
        To light up my days
        And fill my plate with BBQ

Comment

I call that cratering. If you look at the charcoal before stirring and relighting, you’ll probably see that the fire burned down through the middle instead of spreading sideways. It’s not common, but it happens; I’ve had it happen once in 14 years. Like everyone has said, just stir and relight. I had my fire crater during a brisket cook, and when all was done it was the best brisket I ever made.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here