Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air leak in SnS kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air leak in SnS kettle

I got an SnS kettle last fall, but the first time I used it the coals kept burning when the cook was done and I had closed all the vents. SnS tech support suggested that I get a gasket, so I ordered one from them. However the problem persisted with the gasket installed. I tried using binder clamps to hold the lid tight, but they didn't help, either with or without the gasket.

Summarizing: with the top and bottom vents as well as the smoke hole and the wire hole closed, then with or without a gasket, with or without binder clamps, the coals will keep burning until they are exhausted. Has anyone else seen a problem like this? Any suggestions? My guess is that the bottom vent/ash-catcher on the SnS isn't sealing tight, but when I sent a photo of it to SnS tech support, they said it looked OK.

My workaround is to put on heavily insulated gloves, remove the SnS insert after the cook is done, and dump the coals into my Weber kettle, which is air tight and puts the coals out promptly. But the SnS was supposed to replace my Weber kettle, while now I find that it doesn't work right without it.

Anyhow, I would appreciate any suggestions.

Next time you use it, maybe just before sealing it up dump a handful of wood chips or a chunk on the coals. In order for charcoal to keep burning there has to be a pathway not only for air to get in but for the combustion gasses/smoke to exit as well, so with robust smoke you should be able to see where it’s leaking and get some pics to submit to SnS customer service. That should enable them to effectively solve the problem or justify a replacement. Best of success, and please let us know how it ultimately gets resolved.

Comment

Are the lid and/or bowl possibly out of round? I don't know if the SnS is like the Weber, but that's a pretty easy fix with the Weber.

Comment

• JHB
        JHB commented
        Editing a comment
        How would you put it back in round?

• jhapka
        jhapka commented
        Editing a comment
        JHB find the points where the diameter of the rim is the largest distance with a tape measure and put one point on a soft surface like a moving blanket on firm ground. Gently apply your body weight to the opposite point. Remeasure and repeat until the diameter is equal no matter where you measure across the rim. This could be for bowl or lid

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        JBH, the simplest way is to lay the lid on a hard flat surface (think garage floor) and see if it wobbles at all. If
        so, find the two points that move off the floor and press those toward each other like jhapka describes. Then do the same with the bowl.

Interesting. When I first got my SNS grill I wondered about installing a gasket before any cooking just so I would have a pristine surface. I asked here and also contacted support. Answer from both was no gasket really needed, so I didn’t install one. I haven’t had any issues as you describe and haven’t even needed clips. I support Steve R. ‘S suggestion to check for roundness.

Comment

My SNS is pretty dang air tight for a kettle, very little smoke, if any, escapes from my lid. I’m curious though, what happens when you’re cooking with wood chunks? Have you closed all vents while it’s smoking real good, to check where the most leaks are, if any? How tight do your ash sweepers fit against the bowl?

Comment

• JHB
          JHB commented
          Editing a comment
          I've seen smoke escaping from under the lid when grilling (despite having installed a gasket). I can stop this using a binder clamp, but oddly enough the binder clamp doesn't solve the problem of the coals continuing to burn after the cook. I can close the vents, add binder clips, and the coals keep burning.
          The ash sweepers seem to lie pretty tight against the bowl, and SnS tech support said they looked OK when I sent them a photo.

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, this one has me stumped. Don’t know if you feel the same but, when I’m grilling on the kettle I intentionally let all the coals burn up by leaving the lid off. I don’t feel like going through all the hassle of trying to salvage maybe 4 or 5 coals. I just let ‘em all burn up and throw the ash away the next day. I’ll start fresh each time with all new coals.

Chewing gum, yessir!
        Or duct tape.

Comment

If I have quite a few briquettes intact, I will pull them out and place them in my ash can which is a miniature garbage can. It is air-tight and they are extinguished in minutes. Then I use them on my next cook IF they are at least 1/2 unburned.

The removal of them will make the SnS fire go out quickly w/o large pieces of charcoal to burn.

Comment

could it be the coals?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here