Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can’t close bottom damper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can’t close bottom damper?

I’m curious if others have this issue. I have found that whenever I am trying to dial in temps, closing the bottom damper will always result in the temp plummeting. I was under the impression I should Be able to maintain lower temperatures by closing the bottom vent and relying on the pot vent and smoke hole, but my experience dictates otherwise.

Any tips on maintaining lower temps on this guy?

I marked my kettles so I know what position of the lever creates an initial opening of the vents, with successive marks for 1/4, 1/2, etc. All approximate of course. I also run with the top vent fairly shut as to not provide unnecessary extra oxygen.

Comment

Right or wrong, here's what I do. I leave the bottom vent fully open and control temps with the top vent. I don't have problems with temps dropping.

Comment

I keep the bottom vent open just a crack and control with the top. Using the top vent will control air flow through the bottom vent to a certain extent. If I'm using the SNS charcoal basket I find that If there is not enough lit coals going in the beginning of the cook it is a lot harder to control temps(keeping them up) or sometimes ash build up will drop temps. But sometimes things just don't go as planned. I used the SNS kettle this past week, everything was going fine and the temps started to drop quick and I had to open the bottom vent wide open and knock the ash off the coals to get the temp back up but over all the temp stayed with in 25-30 degrees of 225 usually hung around 235. I do use the smoke hole but only when I use a fan to control the temp.

Comment

TINY adjustments. Mastering temps control on a kettle requires that the human also masters himself, in that we need to show patience and make small adjustments and wait to see their result. That said, here's a little something I put together that SnSGrills uses on their site, it might help you if you have a later model Weber kettle:

EDIT: I see that you have the SnS Kettle, missed that fact, so the info below likely won't help. It may benefit you to do a similar comparison to your vent handles and the fin positons.

For the SnSKettle, follow SnSGrills' instructions here:
          https://snsgrills.com/pages/slow-n-s...QaAhvyEALw_wcB

How To Use Weber® Charcoal Grill Vents​​

This reference shows the 2015 model Weber® “Original Kettle Premium” handle positions relative to the vent settings.

Older model Weber® grills, such as the “One Touch Gold,” may be different than pictured here.

If you’re operating an older model grill, we strongly recommend you inspect your grill handle and vent positions and make notes for ease of use later on. Weber® grills without the clean-out handle and other brands can simply be adjusted by sight.

Note: the most common adjustments will occur between the 2nd hole and the 3rd.

Note: some prior inspection may be necessary with your grill so as to know the bottom vent positions relative to the sweep handle on older Weber® One Touch kettle grills. This will be very necessary to know for proper temperature maintenance as the cook progresses.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here