Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Belly on the PK360.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Belly on the PK360.

Cooked a small piece of pork belly today on the PK360. I used a 2 zone setup and let it cook low and slow for about 6 hours. Used Fogo Quebracho lump and a couple of small pecan splits to kick it off. When the lowest internal temperature was above 190F, I pulled it. It is cooling now and will go into the fridge later tonight for a run through the slicer tomorrow with a thick slice setting. Hopefully it will firm up when cold because it is so tender at the moment it is fragile.

When you set up a PK360 for a cook like this, grill space is at a premium. But for my smaller runs like this, it is a fantastic grill.

So it was fun day with the PK.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pork belly on the Pk Jan 20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	795197

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pork belly off the PK Jan 20.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	795196
    Last edited by Alphonse; January 23, 2020, 09:10 PM.

BLT's in the morning!!!!

Comment

That pork belly is beautiful! Nice job

Comment

I do pork belly several times a year. I have one curing right now to Meatheads Asian variety. (my fav) 190Ëš? Why? As soon as the entire belly is 160Ëš, mine is off there! It's perfect. If you like nicely sliced, then very cold is the time to do that. Look up Meatheads "from scratch bacon". He tells you, smoke it to 160Ëš.

Comment

• Alphonse
          Alphonse commented
          Editing a comment
          Greg, this one is not cured. It is just plain ol' pork belly seasoned with a rub and cooked on a grill.

I have cured them in the past and yes, I would smoke them to 160F and then pull it.

I would not smoke one on a PK, it is too small and hot. I have used a kamado with good luck in the past.

Huskee That looks phenomenal! Great cook. There is a nomination for hot from the pit!

Comment

Holy cow, Batman! That is just beautiful!

Comment

Wow! This fantastic!

Comment

I don't know what kept you from eating it on the spot when you pulled it from that PK360.

Kathryn

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Kathyrn, I must confess I did have a small sample as well as delivering one to my boss. She gave it a very strong approval rating. The issue was it was so tender the knife was going to shred it. It firmed up in the fridge as expected and sliced great today. As a matter of fact I didn't get the slicer out 'cause I hate cleaning it up for such a small job. I just used a Granton blade knife on it and it was easy. I bet my boss will be happy to make us a BLT for dinner tonight!

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Alphonse, you've got some good eating ahead, for sure. Sounds like "the boss" has impeccable taste, too.

Kathryn

Looks beautiful! Perfect color on that.

Comment

• Alphonse
                Alphonse commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Joe, it did have a nice bark. It was rubbed with a Memphis Dust type rub that I make for pork. I also spritzed it with apple juice/cider vinegar as it progressed late in the cook and of course, it was cooked fat side down.

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                I have done bacon dozens of times and pork belly burnt ends once but never just a big piece of belly like this. Gonna have to give it a try!

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
              Huskee That looks phenomenal! Great cook. There is a nomination for hot from the pit!
              Definitely beautiful! Alphonse can you copy this in the SUWYC topic, it's hard for us to scan all the food channels for worthy pics. That topic is the best one to show off and get a newsletter feature...unless you don't care.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here