Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem assembling my new PK360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem assembling my new PK360

I finally broke down and ordered a PK360, imagine my frustration when it arrived tonight and I can't even get past the first step in the assembly! The instructions say to slide the mounting post (the "Tube") down into the hole in the base. Sounds easy, right? The official PK video on Youtube also shows the Tube easily dropping into the mounting hole. But trust me on this one, the Tube that came with my grill isn't going to "slide" into the base. The fit is extremely tight - it's beyond tight - and the only way the Tube is going to fit into the base is if I pound it. I have so far resisted the temptation to try pounding on the Tube, I'm worried I may end up damaging the Tube or the base.

In the picture below, the bottom of the Tube is simply resting on top of the base, there was enough of a friction fit in the first 1/16" to make it stay put without falling over. But, as a I said, it's not going further down into that hole without some serious force being applied.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you solve? I'm going to call PK in the morning but am hoping someone here can help.

Thanks in advance!

El Vez

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	732565
    Attached Files

It's been a couple of years since I put mine together, and I'm lucky to remember where I was five minutes ago, but I don't recall having any trouble putting mine together. I just went and took the body off the pedestal, turned it over and took a picture. The tube sets to the bottom, and a tab fits into a base with four screws. I wouldn't force it, talk to PK first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1719.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	732574

Comment

My first thought - are both ends the same diameter? And that leads to did you insert the right end into the base? Sorry, but I thought I'd get that out of the way...

Time to call PK.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        My thought too, and I don't remember if I had to put the top on or if it were already attached. A single screw holds it in place, so it would be easy to tell which end is up, tab to the bottom and set screw hole at the top.

• El Vez
        El Vez commented
        Editing a comment
        The two ends of the Tube are totally different, there's no mistaking which end goes into the hole in the base. The top of the Tube (i.e., the end that does not go into the base) has a massive collar that fits into the bottom of the body of the grill. The bottom of the Tube (the end that supposedly, allegedly "slides" into the base) is plain and smooth except for a small notch that helps align the Tube and base.

Time to call PK.

sigh

Hope you get it resolved quickly, El Vez . BTW I like your member name and avatar. I'm a real Elvis fan, especially of his bluesy earlier songs. A playlist of Elvis' early stuff and Patsy Cline is often on when I'm housecleaning--a great distraction from the job at hand.

Kathryn

Comment

It could be as simple as to much paint. But...….. call.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          See below at post #7 mrteddyprincess Aircraft years ago were left unpainted. Save on weight which saves money. Now a days with acid rain not to mention all other chemicals/salt in the environment aircraft operate in they need to be painted and closely inspected for corrosion. I see newish aircraft based in China that will spend way to long in maintenance because of this. We've also had issues with to much paint on flight control surfaces. la la la...….sorry

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          I asked you this question because of post #7.

I still take your word on it. :-)

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh. mrteddyprincess I would imagine the post and post base hole were made to a close tolerance fit. You wouldn't want the whole thing rocking around every time you opened the lid. So as paint is needed for protection, to much is no good either.
          If you look up at ComfortablyNumb picture you'll see surface corrosion forming on the bottom of the post centering plate from 12 to 3 o'clock. Rust never sleeps.
          Last edited by HawkerXP; August 22, 2019, 06:42 AM.

Yeah, give em a call. When I got mine, I could not for the life of me figure out how to attach the shelfs. Looked at the instructions, played with it and was convinced they had drilled the holes wrong. A simple call and I got them on.

Comment

I called PK today. Turns out HawkerXP nailed it. They had some QC issues with some of the bases, too much paint was applied to the interior of the hole and then the Tube would not fit. The lady at PK said they thought they had pulled all of the bad bases out of production, but mine apparently slipped through. They are Fed Exing a new base to me. Will report back later.

Thanks everybody!

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            So did this get resolved?

PK seems to have a lot of QC issues lately. There’s more than a few reported on their FB group. I have a problem with my PKTX closing properly.

Comment

PK QC issues is right on. I bought a PK360 and when I opened the box they had sent the manual for the smaller one. Completely useless. Fortunately, there was a good PK 360 assembly video on YouTube.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here