Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I do LOVE my PK360, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do LOVE my PK360, but....

I'm a bit bored at work right now, nothing to do, so I thought I'd air out a couple issues I have with my beloved PK360:

1) I don't like the column base. Too flimsy. Especially when the top is open. One push and it can fall over backwards. It almost happened to me once. Would like it to see it someday come with a more stable, 4 post, base. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

2) Indirect cooking is set up for a left handed cook. Only 10% of the population is left handed. The thermometer should be on the right side. Setting up the grates, shoveling coals to the right side, etc. I have to use my left hand. So hard for an old geezer like myself. To have the thermometer on the right side would be a major design change, so that's not gonna happen.

Apart from those two issues I have, I did mention that I love my PK360. My favorite grill. Ok, fire away.....
    Attached Files

Thank you for pointing these out. They are all good suggestions.

Comment

Ah, heck, if it bothers you that much, drill a hole and move the thermometer and plug the other hole with high temp caulk. Aluminum drills easy. Bu your right on all your points. Maybe we can get Meathead to revise his review to point this out.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 21, 2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        You could make the plug removable and have it act as a probe port.

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Never thought of removing the thermometer and using it as a probe port. Genuis!!

And if you are unhappy with the base, set it in concrete for a permanent solution. Or put heavy sandbags on it for a moveable solution. Personally, I have neither issue with my 360, never had it tip. The hinged grate can be put on either side, so mine is on the right. I never touch the thermometer, not sure what problem you are having with that, but as pointed out it can be moved.

Oh, and GO DODGERS!!!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        As a life-long Giants fan.........I got nothing........... At least it's not 1985. Yet.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Had to look that one up, ouch! I'm hoping for 1988....

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        One of the coolest home runs I've ever seen, and a great baseball moment.

I just installed a thermometer on my old PK and am left handed so I put it where it is located on the 360. They recommend putting it on the hinge end which makes zero sense to me.

Comment

Speaking for the left-handed people of America. Get over it. 😁

You know we are the only ones in our right minds.....at least maybe!

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
          mrteddyprincess commented
          Editing a comment
          You know "they" are out to get us, right? I don't like the shifty looks I get from right handed people, especially from my wife. :-)

I am a righty and have zero issues cooking indirect. Not sure what the problem is. There is plenty of room to move things around. I always put coals on right side food on left. It wouldn't be a problem to reverse the grate and switch it up

My base is very stable. I have never felt it could tip.

My only gripe is cleaning it. It makes a mess even with a bucket under the ash hole (insert Bevis laugh).

I love it and use it 3-4 times a week.
        Last edited by Old Glory; June 22, 2019, 04:21 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          quagmire giggity?

• RlsRls
          RlsRls commented
          Editing a comment
          I also use mine 3 or 4 times a week. Owned it about a month.(mid May 2022). Very happy except for one issue,since first cook, black rubeer/plastic grips on tubes get loose and spin when tubes get hot. Since yours is 2 years old , wondering if you've had the same experience?
          However wrote to PK and they are immediatley sending out new tubes saying they've had some similar complaints. Vey impressed with the customer service dept!

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          RlsRls I have not had that issue.

I'm not sure how you see it as a left handed grill with the thermometer being on the left side. My assumption is that the thermometer is where you want to monitor the indirect heat, which is the left side, therefore, the heat source would be on the right side of the grill with easy access for your right hand to do the work. The meat would be on the left side, of course, but that's open from both sides and can be grabbed by either hand. Charcoal work is all on the right side. I would argue that if it's a left handed grill, the thermometer would be on the right side, and it is not.

I haven't noticed instability with the stand. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm in the 10% and prefer my left hand. I assure you, we adapt to right handed gadgets way more than 90% of the time.

Comment

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, I was bored at work, with nothing to do AND I love my PK360. Just throwing something out there. But I knew the Lefties would comment. But I love Lefties. I married one and my son is a lefty. Helped him get on the varsity HS team early.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Get him pitching. Lefties make a killing!

• TripleB
            TripleB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's all in the past. He's 24 now and working the old 8-5. He did have a blast though.

Been a few laps around ol Sol, an so fer, ain't found me no cookers that didn't have a "but..."

Nature of th Beast, I reckon

I'd Love to have a PK, Original, or 360, an patiently await th time til somebody abandons one, in my front yard lol!

Re: Left Handedness: I always could write, draw, etc., with equal ability, with both hands, but goin to school provided me with th opportunity to git stroked on my offendin left hand, with an edgewise yardstick, swung like a katana...

Didn't really discourage me, but was duly noted, especial, at th time...

(Ambidexterous is th innate ability to screw up most anything ya touch, equally well, with either of yer mitts, an I can dang certain do alla that lol! )

Alla them ol penguins is way beyond dead an gone now, rest their souls, so I do as I dang well please, nowadays...

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            "...Ambidexterous is th innate ability to screw up most anything ya touch..."

Don't I know whatcher talkin' 'bout, Mr. Bones! Stuff that needs fine motor skills I usually do left handed, but most other things I have to decide which hand to use -- it's not an automatic lefty or righty thing for me. That is a surefire recipe for screwin' up regular like, as you would put it, 'specially with power tools.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            IowaGirl Many thanks fer th much-needed smiles, an laughs, Sister!

Keep on bein yerself!

Yup, power tools'd be a whole nuther topic of discussion, I'd reckon...

"Not automatic" is a great way to describe it, I usually jus use whatever hand is, um, err, handy...

I have always hoped that they would produce some form fitted silicone plugs or caps that would cover the top vents when not in use. The cover keeps the rain out, but doesn't let you show off what a great looking grill it is.

Comment

I usually set up coals on the right in all my cookers. I feel that my better right hand dexterity is important to have when messing with the coals.

The only two issues I have is the rain entry (why put a cover on an all AL and stainless grill?) And it’s just a tiny bit small to cook everything on.

From my avatar you can see my permanent fixed solution to the rain problem...

Comment

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I remember reading about your rain diverter. Was very impressed. You’ve done a few modifications. I agree on the small foot print. But I don’t smoke on my PK360, just grill with the occasional indirect.

I like the PK too, but it has some ergonomic issues. For the price, its ergonomics should be a non-issue.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here