Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need advice to keep temps going longer (PK360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice to keep temps going longer (PK360)

I cooked a chicken (indirect) on my PK360 with 2/3 chimney of KB which is around 66 bricks. I'm looking for 1.5 hours @ 325. My PK360 held stable for one hour then started lowering and ended at 225. I started with R intake & L exhaust half open but quickly had to open them both up all the way.

Any suggestions on how best to carry that extra 30 minutes?

Weather not a factor - 65 degrees here with light wind.

I used 'The Spice House' Bavarian seasoning with the chicken dripping into a stock similar to the ultimate turkey and it was fantastic! Only complaint was rubbery skin so just need that extra heat.
    Last edited by Larry Grover; February 2, 2018, 04:25 PM.

Hmmmm, maybe close down the dampers a bit more throughout the cook and maybe it’ll make it through the duration. Or fashion something like a S&S for the PK so that the heat is amplified without burning all the coals at once.

Comment

• RlsRls
      RlsRls commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been a PK360 owner for two years now. It's been great for "hot n' fast" cooks. I've had trouble keeping Low n slow cooks consistant. Pretty sure my problem's been I'm a big fan of chimney lighting (lack of patience!), which can be troublesome to keep temps low. I'm always chasing temps doing too much adjusting , up, down, opening closing etc. Now just starting to realize the benefit of starter cubes buried in a pile of charcoal, no chimney, and being more patient. Doing ribs tonite!

I always start with a full chimney. Closing the vents at the end will put them out so you can use the remainder next cook. I also cook on the left so I can add charcoal if necessary on the right with the hinged grate. I'd also suggest moving the chicken over the coals at the end or put it under the oven broiler to crisp up the skin.

Another note, I use the charcoal basket, so I can just slide the coals over rather than moving the chicken.

Comment

You could try pouring the lit coals over a half chimney of unlit coals. That should buy you some more time.

Comment

I can’t help you even though I own a PK360 grill. I haven’t cook on it but once and that wasn’t a low & slow cook. Sorry.

Comment

I run my PK360 with the R intake and L exhaust wide open and adjust R intake to raise or lower the temp. As RonB mentioned, pouring lit coals over unlit coals will help extend cook time as well.

Comment

The pk360 is stable but a fan controller is best. These two calibration tests were lit and then untouched for the duration. The bbq guru Weber adapter press fits into the front vents. I routinely run cooks overnight and get 12-14 hours on a single coal load at 225. Click image for larger version

Name:	2F85A941-CC95-4020-838E-7D853CB6CC63.jpeg
Views:	1344
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	449160Click image for larger version

Name:	086061BE-D29F-4341-B6D1-7DC0A72A3FDB.jpeg
Views:	1427
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	449162Click image for larger version

Name:	412CE2ED-DB2D-44A5-A8BE-9330CFEEB60A.jpeg
Views:	1385
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	449161

Comment

• Danjohnston949
              Danjohnston949 commented
              Editing a comment
              Polarbear777, You Have Your Grill and Temp Controller
              "DIALED IN"❗️ Young Feller, Neither of those Temp Shots
              Were Your First❓ IMHOP‼️ 👍👍👍👍👍
              From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Polarbear777
              Polarbear777 commented
              Editing a comment
              Dry run calibration tests a week after I got the pk360. I had plenty of practice on kettles first. I used kbb first and got 14 hours. The 20 hours was with Stubbs natural briquettes (less ash to clog things up). .

Had to make my own steel charcoal holder for the pk360 though because theirs is too short and wide and I wanted to load all the way up to the food grate.

Hardwood briquets. (drops the mic and walks away)

Comment

Man, lots of options here. The Weber 22" has 363 inches of total grill space and the PK has 360" so I went off the Weber user manual which recommended 50 bricks and an additional 16 per hour for longer cooks. I'm getting better results with a water pan so I guess that means more coal needed.

I have a bunch of KB that I bought on sale so it will be some time before I get around to lump. Curious though how much you'd use Jerod? Most info on the web deals with short direct cooks or long L&S.

The fan is really impressive, but all those probes & wires I dunno.

I'll be cooking a bird tonight and will post the results. Using a rub recipe from a master certified chef.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7D4BDF4F-D5C6-4076-AFEF-1697142C5847.jpeg
Views:	1374
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	449368 I also run the pk 360 without the fan. Though I load a lot more briquettes in than is possible with their holder. I had to make my own that is less wide but goes all the way up to the food grate. Then i toss a white Weber cube in the corner and light it. Upper right and lower left vents closed. I originally was testing using a water pan but didn’t bother since it’s not needed for temp control. Food in left side ( the temp probe is in the right place so you can use that as it measures the pit temp to within 5-10 degrees of my probes usually. ) Left upper open about half and then right lower opened around 1/4. Use the right lower to adjust temp and I used a sharpie to mark the positions when I got it where I wanted it for 225 and 325 so less fussing next time to get it close.

I do do like the fan because whether it’s -5F or 95F outside the temp is exactly where I set it. Click image for larger version

Name:	9ED2AA45-CCB6-4CA9-859F-DEECBC5793B9.jpeg
Views:	1296
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	449367

Comment

Polarbear777 So what exactly do you use? I went to BBQ Guru and they said they didn't have anything to fit the PK360.

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Pics below. I was going to cut a hole for a fan adapter until I realized that it fits in the tube handle. Much nicer solution.

With that tongue hanging out like that do you think you might be drippin on the coals?

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think the dog may be adjusting his vents while he’s not looking so he can wind up with the "mistakes"

The bbq guru Weber adapter is just a tube with a cap that you connect across a 1” hole in a kettle grill.
                  As luck would have it that tube (without the cap) fits into the front rubber handle of the pk very nicely. I added a collar so I don’t push it all the way in and then have to take the tube off to retrieve it. I block the back of that tube with an extra piece of gasket felt wrapped around a bolt. Click image for larger version

Name:	9FC046DF-38A4-44E6-AA79-4E59145C3444.jpeg
Views:	1263
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	449383Click image for larger version

Name:	472DD625-B997-47B4-8275-675DE5DBDF89.jpeg
Views:	1221
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	449384Click image for larger version

Name:	AD0156DE-5258-4C7E-B1CB-194BDF39A003.jpeg
Views:	1219
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	449385

Comment

Polarbear777 So all you need is this and this? Does everything to run the fan come with it, or are there extras? At the end of the cook do you pull the fan and use this?

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The kill plug comes with the Weber adapter. So you need the adapter, the fan, and either a bbqguru fan controller with temperature probes or a fireboard drive system etc. it does tend to get looser over time but have done dozens of cooks without issue thus far.

I actually don’t bother with the kill plug because you can
                    just turn the lower vent to closed when done.

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The fan and adapter you link to are separate, you still need a controller unit with a temp probe to drive the fan. many brand controllers will work with the pit viper fan if they can handle 12V range and a 1/8” phone jack.

Bbqguru sells all inclusive kits which are a bettter deal than buying piecemeal.

So here's the results of tonights cook. I took most of your suggestions and pretty much combined them together.

1. I started with more charcoal (100 KB)
                  2. Used a modified minion
                  3. Tried to keep the dampers down lower.

So I filled a chimney full with 100 bricks but dumped them when only 1/2 was lit which took 10 minutes. After the dump I kept the lid open for 10 minutes (they looked very salt & peppery). I then closed the lid with 2 closed dampers and 2 half-open then let the temp settle for 10 minutes before putting the meat on.

After the 2nd phase the temp started out around 415 degrees but settled down to 325. I had to tweak the dampers a couple times and ended with them both wide open. It barely hung in there for the 1.5 hrs but overall it worked out nicely and I didn't notice any off flavors since some coal started partially or completely unlit. Overall delicious, tender & juicy so thanks everyone for the suggestions!

In regards to the master chef's rub it was standard fare - not bad but not great. I found I'm not a fan of rubs with spice & heat with chicken. I'm more into herby ones, didn't like S&G and thus far the Bavarian is my fav. It's also salt free so I can dry brine and don't have to worry about cayenne being on my fingers when giving the dogs chicken treats.

Here is the video where I found the rub recipe if anyone wants to try it. There are only 70 certified master chef's in the U.S.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Chicken_Seta.jpg Views:	1 Size:	97.9 KB ID:	449750
                  Last edited by Larry Grover; February 9, 2018, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• fkrall
                    fkrall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rub ingredients detailed at 3:36

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here