Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Franklin, Huge Ribeye Roast with Charred Potatoes on a AF PK300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaron Franklin, Huge Ribeye Roast with Charred Potatoes on a AF PK300

I pretty much learn something new every time I see an Aaron Franklin video.

This looks really good. Can we use wood chunks to create a wall between the coals and the meat like does instead of bricks or a divider? Or do you think a big log is needed? It seems like a great way to add smoke and allow more coals to be stacked up.

Ok I want those potatoes.

On the log vs pieces - you could use pieces, I'd think, but you don't really need anything - the coals will stay where you put them pretty much and I think he just used a lot for the smoke effect because it's what he has (and maybe it makes better video?). A couple of pieces of wood would give the same smoke.

PS: The TJ's Zhoug is exceptional in minestrone.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know on chunks. I am hoping to stack them so I can stack more coal before needing to refuel. Something to try anyway.

I knew it on that Zhong sauce. I will have to try it in soups and minestrone. You are addicted now eh?

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah the Zhoug is very good.

On the coals - you're' talking longer cooks that he shows in the video, right? I doubt the cook took more than 20 mins

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Thinking about how to get 10-12 hours before refueling.

I should also add that Henrik has some fantastic videos on the PK300 cooking some delicious meats.

This is THE place to learn about barbecue and grilling tips and tricks. All those details that make a big difference. Unsure about how to cook different cuts of meat on the grill? You've found the right channel Every now and then I fabricate a new grill, smoker or accessory. I'm a barbecue fanatic, book author and offset smoker builder. Author of the book ’Barbecue, fire and smoke’ (available on Amazon.com) Moderator Emeritus at AmazingRibs.com, SUBSCRIBE and Ring that Bell so you don't miss an episode!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks buddy! Yeah, I really like the PK 300, a real workhorse!

"The 80s/Applebees crosshatch" lol.

Comment

That sure looked like medium to me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here