Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PK REVEARSE SEAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PK REVEARSE SEAR

Wonde ring how you PK'ers do reverse sear? Is a full chimney dumped on the right side too hot for the slab of steak tucked far to the left, or do some of you start your coal with some sort of "fuse " method? If fusing, do you light a second chimney to add to existing coals or do you fan the flames to get to searing temp? I'm kind of a light chimney ONCE kind a guy!
    Thanks!

I don’t have a PK, but I’ve cooked steaks on one before. For a quick cook like steaks, I always use all or mostly all, hot coals. I’d think 3/4 of a chimney of coals would be plenty for the smallish size of the PK. And you’re right, set the coals off to one side.

Comment

I set the coals to the front 1/3 of the PK and use an oak log to keep them there. The log adds some smoke and usually lasts for 5-9 cooks. I have used both a chimney and wood wool fire starters to light the fire. I like the fire starters: you can better control the fire and temperature for cooking then open the vents all the way when you want to sear. A chimney tends to start things off too hot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pkgrill.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	1242355
      Last edited by 58limited; June 26, 2022, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
        I set the coals to the front 1/3 of the PK and use an oak log to keep them there. The log adds some smoke and usually lasts for 5-9 cooks.
        That.....that is a very clever idea.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          It is!

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          I got the idea from Aaron Franklin's book "Steak" - he uses a PK grill and that is the set up he uses to cook them.
          Last edited by 58limited; June 26, 2022, 09:05 AM.

I generally use lump if I'm going to do a sear, but sometimes I have briquettes. I light with a mapp-pro propane torch. With the bottom vent under the fire opened and the other bottom vent closed, also the opposite top vent opened and the top vent over the fire closed, I run about 275-300 on the cool side. When I'm ready to sear, just open the lid and let the fire get ripping and sear.

Comment

Check out PK Matt on YouTube. He has a video on revere searing a Tri Tip, along with a number of other cooks. Can’t remember how I found out about this guy, but I love his videos. Makes everything look really simple. Made me realize I probably overthink things way too much most of the time, plus his background music is always awesome. Anyway, for the Tri Tip he loads about half of the fire side with unlit coals, then dumps lit coals into the other half. Places a wood chunk on the grate above the lit coals, closes her up, smokes at about 250, and by time it’s ready to sear about 2/3 of the coals are rolling so there’s plenty of room.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here