Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza on the PK360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pizza on the PK360

I've been thinking about getting a Ooni, but I thought, before I spend that money, I'd try and see how I could do on the PK. I think the concept is ok, and maybe with a better charcoal basket it would make it work better. But I just didn't get the temp high enough (around 400 degrees on the PK thermometer). Also, the heat escapes every time I open the grill. Pics attached, I welcome your comments or suggestions.

Attached Files

I've done lots of pizzas on my BK kamado and I feel the secret is having your stone protected from the intense heat of the coals. My kamado is long gone , and in my PK I plan on using both the "little more" extender grill to elevate the stone, and some sort of heat shield (old round foil pan), on the food grate to protect the stone. Having done a few hot/fast cooks since I've owned it, I don't anticipate any problem getting the PK temp into the 600 degree range at all. Hope this helps! Others will probably chime in as well.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you gotten your PK up to 600d? I’ve gotten mine up to 450d and that was pushing it.

• GrillinNC
      GrillinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, RlsRls...I didn't find the stone to be too hot, it cooked the crust nicely. The top of the pie didn't cook at the same rate. I will play around with this more, I think I would need a lot more fuel to get to the 600 degree range.

I love that you're trying to do it with what you've got. I've made pizza on my PK, Weber Genesis, and in the firebox of my stick burner. But getting an Ooni (the cheapest model when it was on sale for about $200 a couple years ago) was the best decision I ever made when it comes to pizza. It's easy, the results are great, and it only takes a handful of pellets per pizza.

Comment

• radshop
      radshop commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr If your results are half as good as mine, you won't regret it. Their prices have gone way up, but even so I would buy one if I didn't already have one. I got the cheapest model and I've used the heck out of it for about 2 1/2 years. I use it a couple times a month now, but for a while I was having pizza parties almost every week and cranking out 10-12 pizzas in 60-90 minutes. Haven't done that in a while, and somebody just asked me a couple weeks ago when the next one is

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just checking them out. I'm usually in the 14" range for my pizzas but I could downsize to the Fyra 12". I see they're about double what you paid but like I said I'm making pizza once a week so I know I'll get my money's worth. Now for convincing my wife that it's a "need"!

• GrillinNC
      GrillinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comments. I'm at a point in life where I'm not quite downsizing, but trying to limit the amount of stuff I bring in my home. That said, I've really been leaning toward buying the Ooni. A local store has the 12" multi for $379, less than they sell it online. How can I go wrong?

Raise the stone up some to get the top to cook evenly with the bottom. Get it a few inches higher. More fire! Also, if you can, get another stone, and put one on top of the other, with an air gap in between. This will help keep the bottom from scorching. I would also recommend an infrared thermometer to measure stone temperature.

Comment

• GrillinNC
      GrillinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Thunder, that makes sense, and I think that's what RlsRls was trying to tell me. Even out the heat by getting the pie higher up. I did temp the stone, I want to say it was 500+ degrees.

Looks to me as though your first shot is in the park! Yum!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here