Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS 2nd Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS 2nd Grill

I currently have a Kamado Joe Big Joe. I am looking for a smaller grill something that uses less charcoal for high temps and heats up quicker for smaller cooks. I thought about a kettle but not sure this fits the bill, any thoughts or suggestions?

PK?

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      PK, if I were going to get a charcoal grill that is it.
      I hooked on pellet grilling and still exploring, experimenting.

PK or 22” kettle will do whatever you need. Just depends on your budget I guess.

Comment

I'd get a kettle with an SnS and a Weber chimney. You can smoke and grill on the kettle, but for one or two pieces of thin meat, I'd just use the chimney, (a 13" grate helps a lot for this), and just keep flippin' until you reach your desired temp. You can even turn the chimney upside down to save charcoal.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        ☝️pro tips

How small? Weber Smokey Joe or Jumbo Joe on the cheap (for 1-3 people Smokey, 1-6 Jumbo) or the 22" SnS Kettle if you want a little more flexibility on the affordable side of things. PKGO is another contender in the small camp but it's pricier (but therefore even more flexible) than the Joes.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        BloomHybrid Many a man has arrived at this crossroad, and happy omnivores have crossed it with cookers too big and somewhat too small, but all were happy nonetheless!

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        A jumbo Joe is very capable and so affordable if you decide you need something else you won't be out a lot of money.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure you’ll ever hear someone say they have too big of a grill... Remember you don’t have to fill it with charcoal, just use what you need.

My kettle/SNS/Vortex combo works for me alongside my KJ Big Joe, FWIW. Quick small cooks, a few crispy wings, etc. OTOH wings smoked on the KJ are amazing.

Comment

• BloomHybrid
        BloomHybrid commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you its good to know from some one else with the same cooker. What others they use

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here