Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pig Pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a great spot for a pit though perhaps you should move it just a touch closer to that jumbo propane bomb. Have to say, every time I see your screen name, I get a little grossed out (the "p" stands for Paul). :-)
    Last edited by pkadare; September 9, 2020, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Propane tank is quite a ways away.

This looks fun!! Cool idea on the pit.. nothing funner than cooking a whole hog!!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, no butcherin, just cookin!

Nice POP.
    Pig Out Pit.

Looking forward to updates.

Comment

I was involved in a pig roast while in college - about 200 folks came, and it was a large hog. We rented a super large offset, and started cooking the afternoon before the dinner. I.e. it was probably about 36 hours from lighting the fire until serving. About 7-8 of us sat up all night with that pig in my friends back yard. Fun times...

Anyway, here's a question, knowing from experience what happens when you build a fire on a concrete patio (exploding concrete). How do cinder blocks filled with concrete take to the heat of a fire, especially in the firebox portion of the pit you are building? I would be afraid any cinder blocks that come in contact with flame, or which get heated above the boiling point of water, to have lots of tiny explosions from water pockets in the cement.

I hope I am wrong, but thought I would bring it up, since I ruined the edge of a patio one time by burning some wood on it.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweaty Paul are all bricks equal, or are there special fire bricks to use? I know my masonry fireplace is made from the same bricks as the house, except for the lining of the fireplace, where it uses some bricks that look a little different. I am not sure that goes all the way up the flue though - I don't think it does.

• Sweaty Paul
        Sweaty Paul commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris I will have to do some brick research!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweaty Paul I am not trying to cause problems - I just want to see you succeed, and based on that one time I ruined a patio, I know concrete doesn't like having a fire built on it. Cracks and explosions are not how you want your first cook to go...

And I'm impressed that you want to share a whole hog with others! (I'd have a hard time with that, personally)

Comment

Nice! I need to do this at some point. It looks like so much fun.

Comment

Ok. Last of blocks are up. Note that the front firebox will he lined with brick to try to protect the block. Can see we turned the blocks on their sides to let heat and smoke thru. Could close that down some if folks think would be necessary. Tried to keep the smoke stack entrance fairly low to get smoke to cover the whole pig. Thoughts on making the the smoke stack taller?
          Attached Files

Comment

This whole thing is amazing. Will be watching closely.

Comment

This looks cool. I can't wait to hear how your first cook goes.

Can you just wedge a couple of 4" exhaust ducts into the blocks to extend the flue? I think the temp there would be low enough that you could use galvanized pipe. Others may have opinions on the acceptability of galvanized there.

What did you use for adhesive? Is it high temp masonry adhesive or something?

Good luck on the build.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Used liquid nails. My buddy used that before on a wood burning pizza oven he helped build. We then filled all holes with concrete. Will likely throw another cinder block on top for extending chimney if necessary

Quite the project you've under taken.
              Wondering out loud if some heavier gauge sheet metal, corregated barn roofing comes to mind would be a better choice to protect the cinder blocks than bricks. Lighter and a faster install.
              Haven't been to a pig roast in years, a buddy used to do on every summer on an above mentioned rented rig.
              Good luck, can't wait to see a finished hawg.

Comment

In order for the stack to work correctly you need the lid and rest of the pit sealing well. The stack creates a draw and will suck in air from the easiest place possible. I would run a large opening where you are burning the wood to try and make efficient as possible. Make a V or U grate to contain the wood and ease of burning a small hot fire.

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
                  Sweaty Paul commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I’m since we made the pit a bit bigger than the plans called for we doubled the size of the air intake. Will see what we can do on the grate. Thanks!

Sweaty Paul Did you ever finish this project?

Comment

]yep concrete will explode more than one home has been blown to bits by improper concrete..mortar cure..
                  I have made several rocket stoves out of cinder blocks and have never had any issue
                  on the cinder block pit..have also cooked on one...my dad and grandfather..we did have rods in blocks but we filled them with sand...and also had cap blocks or some sheet metal ..around the pit..
                  I was at a cookout in Athens Alabama..and they had the pig skin side down..man when they flipped that pig..had a flare up that needed every fire truck around to call that down..
                  when I was young big Bob and my grandfather cooked many a pig and chicken on a open pit..
                  it really is a lot of fun..and tastey in the end

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here