Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Food Theorists - Grill Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Food Theorists - Grill Selection

From a fairly new YouTube Channel that is part of a larger family of theory channels that have been online for about ten years now. In this video, the host breaks down the research he did prior to selecting his first grill. It's very nerdy and I think most people here will get a kick out of it.

From their site:

"When the weather gets hot, it's time to bring out the grill and have a BBQ! There is nothing as delicious as a well-grilled burger or hotdog on a hot summer day. Except, what makes a perfect grilled food? Food Theorists, I pose this question: Do you grill with charcoal or propane? Is there a difference in taste or quality grilling depending on which you use? That is what I aim to find out today! I take my food very seriously and I won't stop until we all know the RIGHT way to grill!"

I'll check it out when I have some time.

Comment

I use both and prefer charcoal, however my wife and daughter want immediate gratification so most meals get propaned.
      There is a HUGE difference between the two....

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        This pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject. I prefer charcoal, but if I need to get the job done 30 minutes quicker, I go with propane. Also, my Weber gas grill is bigger than my Weber charcoal grill, so the amount I need to cook can affect the choice.

I use pellets, propane, charcoal, electric smoker, and I recently got a flattop griddle. Have not cooked on that yet. Which cooker I use depends on what I am cooking, the recipe I am using, how much time I have available, the weather, etc. All methods produce tasty food, but each is different as well. I do not believe there is a "right way" to do BBQ. It just depends on the circumstances.

Comment

I've had both simultaneously, but gave away my last Weber gasser ten years ago if that tells you anything. These days it's more about what type of charcoal and experimenting with lump in the PBC.

It would be interesting to see the details of the Good Housekeeping Institue 1988 survey they mentioned. Many charcoal grill designs are functionally the same as they were when they were introduced in the 1950s, but gas has come a long way in the last 35 years. Does anyone remember lava rocks? I swapped mine out for a set of ceramic tiles with holes in them that were supposed to help prevent flare-ups.

Comment

Charcoal vs. Gas Throwdown!
          https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...harcoal-vs-gas

Comment

"Is there a difference in taste...depending on which you use?". That's kind of a very basic knowledge question there for a YoutTube channel to "find out". But we were all novices at one point. Heck, I still look what up what chords are in what keys on guitar, kinda the novice musical equivalent of how to grill on gas vs charcoal.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here