Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New grill look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t obsess over cleaning but once the stainless shelf starts looking greasy and stained I will spray it and wipe it down. For the inside I just brush the grill when preheating and do an occasional burn clean. WSCG

Comment

I like whatever touches the food to be super clean, so the grates always get a good going over. The outsides of the cookers get wiped down after each cook. Even so, there is heat-related discoloration on the stainless steel gasser that I can do nothing about. Basically no one looks at it but me anyway, since all cookers are covered when not in use.

I still haven't invested in a power washer. Covid lockdown made me lazy, lying around, snacking on empty carbs and watching Netflix. It's taken a while to get back into the swing of this "new normal" life. Outdoor cooking when the nice weather came had a tonic effect. When I feel comfortable enough to shmooze around Lowe's once again, I may get the power washer.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 21, 2020, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Like Kathryn fzxdoc I wipe down the outside after each cook, and then put the cover on the cooker. For the inside though, I brush and scrape the grate during the pre-heat on the next cook, and when it gets too bad, I take it off the grill, get the hose, some Dawn, some green scrub pads, and break down the grillgrates and clean well. For the stainless grates and DNG I use steel wool SOS pads.

I have a pressure washer, but only pull it out of the shed and gas it up once or twice a year, for cleaning the pool deck and all outdoor concrete around the house. It's too much work for grill grates.
        Last edited by jfmorris; August 21, 2020, 07:40 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I cannot imagine getting out the power washer for grill grates alone.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          We pay someone to come and power wash the decks and house once a year, so we've never had the need to buy a power washer. But I like the looks of those sparkly grates when people show them here after a good powerwash.

Kathryn

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s why I generally use a small-ish electric...light weight and only needs a hose and an outlet...but certainly powerful enough to clean grates or even a whole grill.

I occasionally dust the outsides with just a wet rag. Living in a dust bowl it builds up pretty bad. As far as my SS Genesis, I degreased the hood once to where it looked practically new again. A handful of cooks later it was right back to being discolored and grease stained. Just not worth the effort. I do give my kettles a quick scrap on the inside the following day after every cook. I prefer functionality over looks. At least for outdoor cookers anyway...

Comment

While we are on this topic, does anyone have any suggestions on getting smoke/grease buildup off of the lid of a Weber Genesis II grill? I've noticed that at the front right corner of the lid, and across the full width of the back where the smoke exhausts that I have brownish build up on the light smoke/taupe colored enamel finish. It's basically baked on grease from the smoke. I've thought of trying something like Barkeeper's Friend on it with a damp rag.

I also notice that there is a lot of black burned on crap down both ends of the grill, which unlike my old Genesis, is also a nice light color, so it shows badly. Not much way to clean that since much of that area is blocked by the side tables.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            My Summit gasser isn’t painted...but I occasionally hit it with the power washer if it’s real funky...and use a stainless cleaner most often.
            On the WSCG, I use generally use Simple Green on the lid...and a stainless cleaner on the table.

I’m a bit eccentric regarding my cooker. I clean after each cook—-we cook bbq three/four times a week. Brush grates while still warm and then vacuum ashes and use warm soap and water to clean grates the next day. I also remove the kettle from my grill center to clean it every other month. Guess you could say I’ve got nothing to do and all day to do it.
          Attached Files

Comment

There is one answer fer how they
            (cookers to you in Oconomowoc) look : Who gives a rip!

Just saw drobinson post. Amendment: furniture ok 👍
            Last edited by FireMan; August 21, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I’m pretty obsessive about keeping my grill spotless. When you’ve invested as much as I have in this bad boy, you would too!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Panhead John; August 22, 2020, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here